Rusted filter = rusted everything!

Ive got an RXP-X that i installed a kanaflex + sceptre filter on and ran in saltwater for about 2 months now....i looked at the filter and it was completely rusted, i was able to rip it off the base.

Long story short, the air coming in was contaminated i guess, my hoses are all covered in a brown rust color on top of the oil buildup. I took off all my hoses and cleaned them out - my intercooler i need to flush as well, its completely brown inside..

my question is, should i remove the supercharger as well and open it up to clean it, or should it be ok? (i am a bit nervous about pulling it and opening it)

Thanks

+1
    Pulling the supercharger is easy,just to be sure i would check the charger.

Where was the filter mounted?

I see alot of guys mount the filter directly behind the intake hole in front of your seat.

They remove the venthose,in this way if you ingest water its directly on the filter.

I have my mounted above the original location of the oem airfilter.

And shortend the venthose a bit,so its outlet is next to the filter,but any water won't come on the filter.

Its a compromise, maybe a little bit less fresh air this way, but a dry airfilter.

+1
    I have mine mounted up under the handle bars as high as i could get mine. But did you pull the hose off the SC and see if it had the rust film in the wheel?

+1
    I installed my using a homemade bracket,which is attached on the right front bolt of the steering.

Only had to losen the nut and put the filter on ,and tighten the bolt and nut again.

This way its high and dry!

when your riding in salt water - it doesnt seem to matter. I had the filter up high under the steering wheel.

I will be checking the SC wheel today after i finish working, if there is rust film what do you guys suggest i do? I purchased Lime Away, which removes rust and build up on metal, i dont think i should spray that directly onto the wheel though without taking the SC apart.

Thanks

You should be giving your sc a shot of wd at idle after a day in the salt.

+1
    Wouldnt use limeaway, get salt-away. just noticed your in Miami, i dont think there is much you can do to prevent rust down there.

+1
    id spray the sc wheel down with wd-4o then reinstall the intake and new filter coating it heavy in wd-40 before and after each ride.
    look what the salt water did to the throttle body on the old rxps hence why seadoo has fitted a lube point for it.

Thread Information