Thread: Help 1st Ski

Help 1st Ski

I am looking for my first Ski.
    I have my eye on an 06 GTI. Any advise on these machines? Problems? Things to look for? It has 186 hours on it. This seems like alot for a 3 year old ski should I be concerned with the hours? How many hours are these engines good for?
    I do not need to be the fastest on the river but I do want enough power to pull a skier, or Big tube with a few kids in it.

Thanks for your help.
    Jagz

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagz View Post
    I am looking for my first Ski.
    I have my eye on an 06 GTI. Any advise on these machines? Problems? Things to look for? It has 186 hours on it. This seems like alot for a 3 year old ski should I be concerned with the hours? How many hours are these engines good for?
    I do not need to be the fastest on the river but I do want enough power to pull a skier, or Big tube with a few kids in it.

Thanks for your help.
    Jagz
    I've been told by some great Sea Doo mechanics that Sea Doo's are built to go around 300 Hours.The ski was defiently ridded, I have an '06 that I ride ALOT with 127 hours. I'd say it was a rental and for you to stay away, people beat rentals and tenders bad. Just my opinion..

Got pictures?

+1
    I was also thinking rental.

The GTI is great, I love mine. It's a great first ski, but after about a year of riding and reading this site, you're going to want more speed. Hence the reason I'm building a conversion......

Thanks for the input guys. I have Big kids, will a 130 be strong enough to pull them out of the water on one ski?

Banned User
    Thanks for the input guys. I have Big kids, will a 130 be strong enough to pull them out of the water on one ski?
    The 130 isn't gonna have any balls, I don't think it would pull a slalom skier

the new 130s do have ski hooks, but unlike the more powerful models the website does not specifically mention "enough power to pull a skier or tube" you can probably find a GTX or RXT for a decnt price. maybe even a 185 with low hours. keep looking, their are deals out their. if you want to go really slow buy a honda!

good luck

i have seen the new seadoos with 400+ hrs on the same engine with no rebuild done yet!! I wouldn't be scared by the hrs, just know who ur buying it from

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rocxp View Post
    i have seen the new seadoos with 400+ hrs on the same engine with no rebuild done yet!! I wouldn't be scared by the hrs, just know who ur buying it from

It's really not the hours to be concerned with, if it was a rental ski. I'm sure it took some abuse during those hours, it's not like a greenhulk member was riding it for 186 hours if it's a rental. Some people I've seen rent skis shouldn't be allowed to ride a bike, let alone a ski!!

At any rate, I'd do a little shopping around first just to compare prices and see what else is out there. Good luck and let us know if you need more feedback.

+1

I've got the GTI SE 155 hp and although it's not legal in NJ, I've have 2 people on a tube and 3 people, including myself on the ski. Once I got on plane, it was fine, but it took some work to get there. Also, be prepared, when tubing the tube kinda pulls the back end of the ski to the sides. It takes some getting use to, but it's not hard by any means.

I think you will be fine pulling one skier, with a spotter of course!

Thread Information