Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Need some Ultra 150 help

Hi, I have been reading these forums for a long time and really enjoy them. This is the first time Ive ever written in. Heres my story. Ive had several jet skis through out the years but always wanted an ultra 150. I found a 2001 on ebay and bought it. I was told it ran great etc. When I got it home I was a little disippointed by the power and it has a bad hesitation right when you first hammer on it. Im quite familiar with the inacuracy of the speedos so I gps it and it ran 57 mph. With all the research Ive done, this doesnt seem right. I checked compression and after holding the start button for about three sec it registered all three at 125. Someone told me to check the black slides in the carbs. So I did and found they open, but 3/4 of the way then a brief palse then all the way. I put a shredmaster and a solas 16/20 on it. Now I need some help from fellow 150 ers. Im sure your all sick of the same question " how can I go faster" but I really do need some help. I love to work on it myself but if it needs profesional help Ill do it. Thanks Joe

Well for the go fast part have a look at the mods thread in my sig.

Have you gps'd it since you did the plate and prop? Your starting speed was down 6-7 mph from where I would expect. The big speed killers are pump, plate and grate setup, all of those are covered in the mods thread. Fuel load body position and trim position all play a part too. The hesitation you are seeing may be cavitation. Also next time out watch your max rpm. With the solas you should be 7k or close to it, each bar on the tach = 250 rpm. I would also throw a fresh set of br9Es plugs in it just to be sure.

That should get you started, welcome to Green Hulk. Let us know if you got more questions.

Hey, thanks for the response. Ive read your stuff before and I Swear on my kids name I had your mod list saved on my favorites before I even posted my problems. Not to kiss butt, but it seems like you know your shit. Ok, as far as the gps, it was done with the shred but not the solas. After puting the solas on it didnt feel like it helped so I didnt gps again. After reading and looking at pics. I pulled my pump off and checked the shims. 2 shims made the pro hit the pump so I went with three and it barely clears. I never siliconed around the plate because I didnt think that that would make a huge difference. I know everything helps but it seem like I have a more serious problem. I will get that siliconed though. I put new plugs in it before I gps it. Ive made sure that there is no lip between the intake,which is stock, and the shred and they are both not sticking out passed the hull. I realize Im no jet ski mechanic but it seems like Im doing and checking everything I should and Im missing something huge. I havent looked at the rpms but I will tomorrow. it seems like Im just missing a bunch of power. By the way, the guy I bought it from was a kawasaki mechanic. So I assumed it was going to run great. As I said, thanks for the response and Im always willing to listen.

well you need to check your compression. It should be even across the board and about 120 psi. Do a search here and it will show you how to do an accurate check. Then you need to inspect your impellor, and find out what rpms you are running....

Ive done a couple compression tests and always come up with aprox 125. I just put a new solas 20 16 on her so thats fine. I dont know the rpms, but I will tomorrow. Thanks, Joe

Not having the shredmaster fitting just right, or not silicone arounded the edge are little things that really shouldn't cost you much speed. Those are just a nice way to unlock a free MPH or two.

It seems from the start your Ultra might not have 100% of its kick. The best thing right now is to see how many RPMs you can turn the 16/20. Either by using the factory tach, or getting a TinyTach. From there we can really see if you have something up with the engine, or if its more a handling/pump issue.

Lots of things can cause you too lose that last 5%. Your compression is fine, so we know its nothing major to the engine.

I don't know if you have already done this, or how new the ski is to you, but check your oil lines, and replace them if there is any question. I have a 2001 also and I changed mine last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by pthoma1 View Post
    I don't know if you have already done this, or how new the ski is to you, but check your oil lines, and replace them if there is any question. I have a 2001 also and I changed mine last summer.
    +1. Oil issues for the 1200 don't end well.

Its funny you should talk about the oil lines. My brother has his 150 in the shop right now getting them changed. They said there going to charge him around 400. He lives 5 hrs away otherwise I would give her a try. I use to have a xp where I did a succesful top end rebuild. That is the deepest Ive ever gotten in to the motor. Back to my problem, I know they make slow skis and fast skis, and obviously I got my hands on a slow one. But Im hoping with the help from you guys I can get it to perform as well as it can. I was seriously thinking about wiseco pistons next and trying to get the compression up. Is it possible that the carbs could be slowing it down ? Speaking of witch,another problem she has is when cruising around you can pull the throttle a ways before it will kick in. theres no slowly going faster, your cruising at 30 and want to go a little faster so you pull the throttle and you keep pulling then all of a sudden she takes off to catch up. I cant explain very well but hopefully you get the picture. I know she sounds like shes in bad shape, but shes not. She just needs some tlc. I WONT GIVE UP ! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
    Is it possible that the carbs could be slowing it down ? Speaking of witch,another problem she has is when cruising around you can pull the throttle a ways before it will kick in. theres no slowly going faster, your cruising at 30 and want to go a little faster so you pull the throttle and you keep pulling then all of a sudden she takes off to catch up. I cant explain very well but hopefully you get the picture. I know she sounds like shes in bad shape, but shes not. She just needs some tlc. I WONT GIVE UP ! Thanks
    The stock 1200 carbs are junk...

Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    THROW YOUR STOCK POS CARBS IN THE GARBAGE!!!!

Thats all I can say about those things...god cant believe I waisted so much time with those things.

Anyway went to sac river at bonnyview thats about 450ft ele.

And almost any ski we run there gains about 50 rpm due to the cool air on top of the water and other conditions there. It seems every ski we test, when we go there it runs better there than any other place we have rode. Even at see level. This is are normal testing grounds but with the current it's hard to get good gps numbers...

Anyway got to ride it and play with the low end.

The bottom now hits better than the ski ever has but still needs work as it's rich and also mid and top end are good but kind of soft but atcually hit 7170 rpm pretty quick after adjusting the screws. To I think by the time im done I should be at about 7200 to 7240 rpms when testing @ Keswick @ 580ft. And should be doing 65+mph..

Anyway Im way pleased with the setup and wish I hadent waited so long. The ski is already funnier to ride at least on the low side but topend jetting is easy.

Anyway I will do some carb jetting and after some parts get in I will hit the water again and then hopefully get the ADA head on..

Till then....

Again...throw your stock carbs in the trash because thats where they belong...with the junk thats in there.

There charging $400 to change the oil lines?
    For $100 I'll mail you the hose, pre cut and a DVD video showing you how to change them.

Strange issue with the throttle. With the above post, have you looked to see if the throttle/choke cables are adjusted correctly?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information