Post Somebody please shed some light on my situation

Hello all.. Been a while since i've been on here, but am hoping someone can help me out. I'll try to make this as short as possible. I bought a 01 Sea Doo Gtx Di new at the end summer of 2001. I used the machine from 2001-2003 and maintained it very well after each use, flush/fog engine etc... and had it professionally winterized after each season. In 2004 I used the machine and on one occasion an inlet hose busted off and filled my engine compartment with saltwater for about 6 hours. I flushed out the water, changed the plugs out, put a little marvel oil in each cylinder and then took it to the dealer to get it remedied. I used it in after that and then had it winterized. I didn't get any use out of it from 2005-2008. Of course one could only assume, this would gunk up my oil pump which it did, so in 2008 I serviced the machine and had a new oil pump put in as well as another sensor was replaced and the machine was winterized. I put the machine in the water over the 4th of July thinking that my machine was in good shape after spending some 1,100 between the repairs and winterization. I used the machine at half throttle for about 45 minutes (too choppy) and the rest of the time I was either at idle or slow speed. I was cruising towards the end of my trip and machine just stopped in the water. I tried to get it started and managed to get closer to land. I got it out of the water and took it to the dealer. He calls me back telling me my pistons are shot etc... and my compression was 100 in one and 90 in the other. I picked up the machine because I was livid!! I find it hard to believe that this is possibly, considering the machine only has 46 hours on it. Has anybody heard of this happening, or does anybody think that this could be a result of a faulty oil pump?? I am at a dead end...do I dump the machine or should I try and get a remanufactured engine for it? I need some guidance please....if an engine is the way to go what is a good one...I have seen sbt's site and they are running around 1,600. Are these difficult to swap out. My mechanical knowledge is not that great, but I have a mechanic brother-in-law with basic engine knowledge..... Any remarks or ideas would be appreciated.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Id buy a compression tester from napa first and confirm that your stealership is correct. its simple to do . screw it into the plug hole and crank it over. if the same numbers or something close come up say 130 PSI +/- 5 PSI your in good shape. if its what he described I would replace the entire engine due to the fact that you ride in salt water and I bet there is rust all over the crank. I be that the salt water was sitting between the rings and corroeded the pistion rings. BTW did you winterize it every year or just the one when it sat for 3 years?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Was the engine hydrolocked with water when the hose busted? As, you had water blowing out the spark plug holes?

If so, no matter what you do, a 951 that has been hydrolocked never lives more than 10 hours before throwing a rod through the cases. Apparently you are lucky, as it hasn't done this yet.

I would do a full rebuild-crank, c/b shaft, bore, and new pistons. Unless you would prefer to buy a Rotax reman engine, which I also highly recommend. It is all brand-new OEM parts, sleeves, and stock pistons. You bolt your head, starter, flywheel, cover, back on it.

+1
    Fogging is only good for so long. Even if the boat is kept in a controled climate you still have water in the waterbox that WILL get up into the engine at some point over three years.

947s (and thier siblings, DIs) are prone to this and you will get rusted wrist pin bearings, cylinder walls, and rings.

It is possible the new oil pump was installed incorrectly though I doubt it. Considering that at one point you had salt water in the hull/engine and then it sat for three years it would have been a miracle if it had NOT died.

Thanks everybody for the input....i really appreciate it! So the second part of my questions was regarding rebuilts. I know sbt offers one online, does anybody else know of any others available or even Rotax and price comparisons. More importantly, how difficult is it to swap out engines and are there any other parts that need to be replaced as a result of this situation.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    personally I would stay away from SBT. never had good luck with those motors. If you are going to rebuild it yourself you need exhaust gaskets and carb manifold gaskets, a head gasket and a 6 hole base gasket that goes under the cylinders.
    The guys that hooked me up with my parts are at www.purrperformance.com ask for Mongoose2 or Tweeker. Awsome guys to deal with, quick turn around and a great price

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Folly Cove View Post
    Thanks everybody for the input....i really appreciate it! So the second part of my questions was regarding rebuilts. I know sbt offers one online, does anybody else know of any others available or even Rotax and price comparisons. More importantly, how difficult is it to swap out engines and are there any other parts that need to be replaced as a result of this situation.
    You can click on parts to the left and price a Rotax reman. I think they still give a considerable discount by entering "green hulk" too.

The engine is the only thing needing replacing. Hard parts not affected will be swapped from your engine to the new. How hard? That's a question relative to the experience of the person with the tools in his hands...

Thread Information