Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Audio Setup

+1

My Audio Setup

I took some ideas from other members and came up with some of my own. My goal is to be able to listen to the music while cruising at 50mph. I got Polk DB6501's component speakers and a clarion APX290M. Still a work in progress, tonight I will be epoxying wood to the hull under the storage box to mount the amp to. I'm hoping to have everything finished up for the weekend. I'm worried about the amp draining the battery to fast what do you guys think? If I have to I will add another battery.

+1
    Nice setup!

I don't think you will empty your battery,as long you make sure your music is off when engine isn't running.

Good luck.

+1
    buy a full wave audio system it just works great

+1
    You should buy another OEM battery and run an isolator switch on it so that when the ski is off, it will only drain your 'auxiliary' battery, but will charge both when the ski is on

What size speaker did you use for that, and what does it handle for power?

+1
    I just noticed that's not a waterproof speaker

Be careful

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RX-Pike View Post
    I just noticed that's not a waterproof speaker

Be careful
    I won't swear that they are waterproof, but they are marine certified. The crossovers are mounted remotely, so if they are put somewhere fairly dry he should be fine. I just replaced my 5-1/4" full range speakers with polks, and they sound great. The picture I'm posting is of the full range ones but you can that they will get plenty wet, and the Polks did fine over the 4th; Also my 2 battery set up/w isolator.

OBJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rxp43008013.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	843.0 KB 
ID:	140855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rxp43008023.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	823.7 KB 
ID:	140856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rxp43008024.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	844.4 KB 
ID:	140857  

+1
    Like already said these speakers are marine rated. I tested things out last night and they're reallly loud. I think I mite just be able to hear the music at 50mph.

John how much did the second battery setup cost you?

+1
    The dual battery set up was a chore. You have to remove some of the flotation foam on the sides to make room to move the mpem closer to the left so that there'll be room for the second battery and still be able to use your storage bucket. I made my own battery tray out of aluminum, a friend welded the aluminum for me for $20.The isolator was new on ebay for about $13(called a "stinger 80") it's there in the corner next to the stock battery. You have to lengthen the cables to the mpem and also make your cables from the second battery to the isolator. I'm going to guess with cable and fittings and all, $60 plus the battery. Just a note about batteries. When I purchased my second battery, I got an "extreme" agm battery from Battery's Plus for about $80, and moved the stock Yuasa battery to become the stereo battery. The "Extreme", pos, lasted 7 mo, and you now know why these little batteries come with only a six mo. warranty. I now have a smaller,lighter, "Odyessey pc625" doing my starting duties. No problems, $85 from batterymart.com, 2 yr. warranty!

OBJ

+1
    Where did you move the electronics that were in the second battery's location.

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by philys21 View Post
    I took some ideas from other members and came up with some of my own. My goal is to be able to listen to the music while cruising at 50mph. I got Polk DB6501's component speakers and a clarion APX290M. Still a work in progress, tonight I will be epoxying wood to the hull under the storage box to mount the amp to. I'm hoping to have everything finished up for the weekend. I'm worried about the amp draining the battery to fast what do you guys think? If I have to I will add another battery.

Nice wiring job, 2nd battery a must, don't think I would 'crank' bass too high, do you know amp draw? Don't try to add class D amp and subwoofers or you'll be needing new voltage regulator, stator, and the whole 9 yards. I've seen many a diode blown on auto's with 100 amp alternators, just remember your electrical system on your jet ski is designed only to keep battery charged and provide voltage for engine functions, not amps and radios. Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information