Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strange CDI in ebox

I recently rebuild an engine for my 93 SL 650 ski that I bought not working a few years ago, the last few days I have been trying to start the engine with no luck, it turns out that there are no sparks on all of the spark plugs. I measured the coils and one was bad so I ordered a new set which should be here next week.

The ebox was flooded so I took it apart and cleaned the connectors however the color codes on the CDI don't correspond to the original ones. I have attached a picture of what the CDI module looks like it is not the standard one since it's a little different than what's in the manual also there is a wire Blue/Red that is not connected to the CDI.

I would like to know if it something you guys have seen before and can point me in the right direction of a wire diagram or something to make sure it is hooked up correctly.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1200.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	140801  

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk..

That is a strange looking CDI never seen one like that??

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk..
    +1

That is a strange looking CDI never seen one like that??
    +1
    welcome to the forum
    mattman

Thanks guys, I guess I'll wait for the new ignition coil to get here next week and try to start it up again. BTW how bright should the sparks be? I was getting some sparks but they were barely visible, but also not consistent maybe 1 spark per 2 or 3 turns of the engine. I am asking this because my car's sparks are very much visible during the day in the sunlight without a problem. First 2-Stroke engine I've worked on so I am not sure what to expect.

Thanks again.

+1
    Remove the plug boots and trim the wire 1/4" and reinstall.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Any markings on the other sides or bottom of that CDI?

Looks aftermarket

If all three ignition coil primaries are still wired in series (as they are in a stock Fuji engine), then all three spark plugs will fire together, three times per crank revolution.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Aftermarket CDI for sure....

Too bad you didn't post earlier, I have about 12 used coils on hand. I prob woulda gave you 3 for $10.

Just the manufacturing date and serial number. What I meant about the sparks was that they were appearing once per 3 revolutions of the engine (Not sure if it was every 3 but it wasn't every revolution) I do understand that they are supposed to fire 3 times per revolution, but it was way less than that.

Also if one of the ignition coils is messed up it wouldn't fire at all am I correct? The primary coil seems fine it measures 0.6 Ohms but the secondary which goes to the plug doesn't give a reading at all, infinite. It was also cracked in the back I took a picture of it as well as the back of the CDI since I know how much you guys like pictures

For now I am going to assume that it is because of the bad ignition coil. When the new ones get here I will test and report back.

To beerdart, I trimmed the wires but haven't had a chance to check because I pulled the engine back into the basement.

Also since my CDI says that it is digital and I read in a post somewhere in here that a digital cdi uses a different stator plate from the analog. Which I did notice when I was getting it together, there was only one notch on it and in the manual it showed a picture of two notches on the stator plate for timing allignment.

But thanks for your input guys and I'll let you know what happens next week take care.

Edit: Ignore the missing piece of the ignition coil on the side I cracked it open to see what was inside but the cracks on the back around the wires were there.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1206.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	140850  

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Aftermarket CDI for sure....

Too bad you didn't post earlier, I have about 12 used coils on hand. I prob woulda gave you 3 for $10.
    Well that would have been a great deal as I got used ones off of ebay for $30 shipped.

Let's hope that was the problem and I don't have to get a new CDI as that will run me a good $100.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information