Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris Hull replacement ?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum been checking out for a little while searching info on hull repair. I have a 2002 Virage I that I have had since new and notice hull damage on the outside the gelcoat was starting to chip off and had water leaking into the hull. The bilge was going non-stop so I started to do some investigating and found not just some cracks but a network of cracks. I assume that replacement is in order but have no Idea where to begin or if it is an opt. now that polaris stopped making the bikes in 2004. I dont think a repair is possible do to the extent of the damage but here are some photos that show some of the damage. Thanks for any help/info.

andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_1566.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	784.6 KB 
ID:	140802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_1568.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	788.8 KB 
ID:	140803   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_1567.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	723.0 KB 
ID:	140804  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Have you actually identified where the water is coming into the hull?

Judging from the pictures, is the cracked area around the fuel tank and forward of the front engine mounts?

Any idea what caused the cracking?

Two cylinder fuel injected Virage - correct?

If your engine is healthy, there are a few ways you could handle this problem.

- Sell the working engine, EMM+injectors, MFI display, jet pump and other good parts, and scrap the bare hull. Use the money to buy another PWC.

- Purchase another good condition used Polaris hull (or entire PWC), and transfer all the working guts from yours to the other hull. The replacement hull can be any Virage year/model, or even possibly a Genesis

- Repair your existing hull.
    It is hard to tell from the pictures what are cracks and what are just dirt markings.

Another Virage owner (Bernie in Australia) had his cracking Virage hull repaired with a layer of epoxy that filled in the hull thickness up to the tops of the hull ribs. It went across the width of the hull bottom, from the front engine mounts to under the fuel tank.

Yes on the first ? the water is coming from the cracks( to the lake I've been but alas no gas to go) but I also have a gasket on the front of the motor that is actually blown out and riped which is causing a small amount of water to leak from the water cooling system. It will also need to be replaced.

Cracks are on both side of the hull(the dark lines are the cracks) they actually start ahead of the first strap mounts for the gas tank. and extend to almost the first motor mount as far as I can tell. I'm not sure what the yellowish colored in the middle is thinking cracking also. I'd cleaned the hull for better inspection of it.

What caused it I'm not entirely sure riding to hard, beaching which I havent done in yrs, loading on trailer, bouncing on trail in transit, someone hit somethin didnt tell me. I live in a land lock area with lakes that arent that rough 3ft maybe 5ft wave in a thunder storm.

Yes it is the fuel inject. version

Motor is perfect except for the small water leak, only things replaced are the spark plugs every yr and the batt. this yr.

Would like to repair if possible, Did Berine in Australia do a post on how or what he did to fix his?

I do know that the lower hull is SMC so the normal fiberglass repair wont work as far as I searched.

Also Thanks for the info

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    You would need an epoxy resin with fiberglass cloth/mat. The cloth is easier to work with. You can fix that.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by starflight View Post
    You would need an epoxy resin with fiberglass cloth/mat. The cloth is easier to work with.

You can fix that.
    Other than the labor and materials, there isn't much downside to attempting a fix. If it doesn't work out, you can still go the other routes.

I don't think Bernie's Virage hull was actually leaking, just that the small internal molded ribs had cracked and allowed the hull bottom to flex more than it should. So the epoxy repair was simply a stiffening reinforcement. It also wasn't as extensive an area.

In your case, with the cracks extending all the way through the hull to the water side, there may be issues with the water penetrating through the SMC cracks to reach under the epoxy.

Winter storage may be an issue if you get below freezing temperatures, and there is water trapped in the SMC cracks

Great so an epoxy resin and fiber mat/cloth to make the repair. What about the under side? I can get pic to show the exterior damage. Never thought about the freezing of water in the cracks to cause the damage that makes sense as the virage has seen its fair share of cold winters.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    I just ran across a bare Virage hull if you want to go that direction.Were are you located at?

Located close to Tulsa, Oklahoma. What kind of pricing on the bare hull

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    They are asking $500.00 with the cowling(hood),might be able to get cheaper. Located in Minn. So probably too far.

+1
    If you go the repair route, I've ordered epoxy and cloth supplies from these guys. http://www.uscomposites.com/ Here in my area, epoxy is almost impossible to find. There's plenty of polyester resin used in auto repair, but epoxy is hard to find and expensive to special order. I've used US Composites twice and they've had good customer service and good prices each time.

Kj

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information