Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Soundproofing

  1. #1

    Soundproofing

    I have a 1994 Polaris sl750 and i would like to know if there is a way i can quiet down my ski. It is loud even a couple hundred feet away. I do not want to sacrifice any speed or performance. Thanks


  2. #2
    la90043's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,201
    My wife snore's really loud. I use ear plugs. Hope that helps.

  3. #3
    She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    17,329
    +1
    31
    Stock waterbox isn't that loud. Aftermarket are.

    What color is your waterbox?


    If it is stock, no way without hurting performance.

  4. #4
    Thanks everyone. It is more for my neighbors so i guess i will have to get a lot of plugs lol. I am not sure what color it is i am going to the ski today and will let you know. The guy did a lot of work to it to make it faster so i am guessing it is aftermarket.

  5. #5
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,587
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by jbwoodshop19509 View Post
    ...The guy did a lot of work to it to make it faster so i am guessing it is aftermarket.
    The good news is that the aftermarket waterboxes make more noise than actual power, so re-installing a stock waterbox is not going to have a huge impact on performance.

    The stock waterboxes are generally the quietest.

  6. #6
    She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    17,329
    +1
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by jbwoodshop19509 View Post
    Thanks everyone. It is more for my neighbors so i guess i will have to get a lot of plugs lol. I am not sure what color it is i am going to the ski today and will let you know. The guy did a lot of work to it to make it faster so i am guessing it is aftermarket.
    I'd bet he did too.

    Good thing is the stocker is cheap and plentiful. And that A/M you most likely have will go for around $70.

  7. #7
    Ctek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Chi-town
    Posts
    135
    I installed an aftermarket box on my SLT750 and it made quite of big difference in power and top end for a single mod. But I have the same problem with noise and am looking for a heat resistant wrap that I can put around the stainless TDR waterbox.

    I was told that a lot of the noise is vibration induced. There is that soundproofing wrap that goes under the hood of cars that I may try. I just don't want the wrap to melt or I will have real mess on my hands...

    Anyone know how hot do those waterboxes get?

  8. #8
    Goliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morehead City, NC / Stow, OH
    Posts
    758
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctek View Post
    I installed an aftermarket box on my SLT750 and it made quite of big difference in power and top end for a single mod. But I have the same problem with noise and am looking for a heat resistant wrap that I can put around the stainless TDR waterbox.

    I was told that a lot of the noise is vibration induced. There is that soundproofing wrap that goes under the hood of cars that I may try. I just don't want the wrap to melt or I will have real mess on my hands...

    Anyone know how hot do those waterboxes get?
    Are you talking about Dynamat? I wonder if that would work...

  9. #9
    Saving the Manuals every day.. TheBlueMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pure Michigan
    Posts
    488
    +1
    1
    Dynamat is made out of an asphalt material, it gets real heavy real fast if you were to start putting it inside your hull.

  10. #10
    rustyrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    wilmington, NC
    Posts
    253
    Check into a product called e-dead (http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=1_24). I was looking into it for my car a few months back. I know a guy that swears by it for his car. It's alot cheaper than dynamat and from what i have heard is just as good if not better. Id imagine that stuff would have to be pretty heavy to do what it does though. a little woudnt hurt tho.

    As for me... How do i go about unsoundproofing my ski??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •