new solenoid, still no start

I put a new solenoid on my 95 750sl and it still wont turn over. if you put hot straight to the starter it will turn over. when you hit the starter button the remote line comming into the solenoid that is supposed to acuate it lights up a test light....so does the black ground on the other side. only when you are holding a test light to one of these do you hear a faint click from the solenoid. should the black wire be lighting up the test light? and if this is right why is the solenoid not working? could it be a ground problem? the whole bracket that covers the coils in the EC box where the ground from the solenoid as well as several other black ground wires attach lights up a test light when you hit the starter button? HELP???

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jason71832 View Post
    1995 SL 750...when you hit the starter button the remote line coming into the solenoid that is supposed to actuate it lights up a test light....so does the black ground on the other side.

only when you are holding a test light to one of these do you hear a faint click from the solenoid. should the black wire be lighting up the test light?

...could it be a ground problem?

the whole bracket that covers the coils in the EC box where the ground from the solenoid as well as several other black ground wires attach lights up a test light when you hit the starter button...
    Definitely a ground problem

All Black wires should be directly connected to battery negative, and no voltage should be present on Black wires (relative to battery negative).

Was the ski ridden with the plastic cover for the battery missing or removed?

Check the black wire than runs from the electric box to the magneto stator (and engine block ground) at the front of the engine.

Test details are in here;
    How to test CDI, Magneto stator coils & Ignition coils on Fuji engines

Also check that the small black wire from the electrical box to the battery negative is actually connected to the battery negative. Not sure if this is present on all Fuji engines

when i purchased the ski the battery cover was indeed missing. i'm not sure there is a wire going from the ec box to the battery ground. the only thing i saw was the large ground that terminates on the bottom of the engine block. but as i said when you hit the start button the y/r from the switch lights up as does the small ground opposite it that terminates on the metal coil retainer along with two other black ground wires. i'm assuming one of those probably leaves the ec box and actually grounds somewhere and the other is for some other component in the box. i will check all my grounds tomorrow very well. any additional input is most definetly appreciated.

ok...it was a ground issue. i jumped straight from the ground wires in the box to the block and boom....she fired right up. Thank you so much. All you guys on here are great and have helped me so much. Now i'm gonna track down the bad ground and fix it.

Thread Information