League City, Texas

Lightbulb 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

I want to share with you a two day class my employer sent me to recently. Some of you may have heard of it, attended it or have access to take it with your employer or school. The program was developed by Stephen Covey from the Franklin Covey company.
    I highly suggest you take the time to take the class if it is available, buy the book, DVD ect. It is an excellent class.
    It not only applies to home life, work life, but relationships both personal and with your colleagues.

I have a DVD that came with it. I will try to burn a copy and host it if possible.

I really with I attended this class a lot sooner in my career/life. There are expanded versions of the class that go into greater detail, but this two day class instilled alot of values, information and habits that I need to entail in my everyday life to be more effective not only at work, but at home.

You can also google [7 habits of highly effective people] and dig up some information over this course.

I made a commitment that I would "share" this information with somebody else, and I felt that with all the members of the forum, who is like an extended family, I want to share it with you as we deal with each other in non-typical social way, but common today [forums], and we all have relationships here and abroad, work and families.

Here are some highlights:

What you see below is just a high level of what is explained in the course.

Dependence: This is where we start, dependent on other people. And without personal development, we would stay stuck at this stage.

Independence: Through personal development, we become more independent and take responsibility for our actions. Still, however, we are not fully effective.

Interdependence: At this stage, we develop the understanding that, although we are self-reliant, we still need other people to accomplish our goals. At the interdependence stage we embrace the idea of working together for better results.

The Seven Habits Explained

The Seven Habits help us move through these three stages of personal development. The first three take you from dependence to independence. The next three usher you along to interdependence, and the seventh is needed to reinforce the others.

1. Be Proactive
    2. Begin with the End in Mind
    3. Put First Things First
    4. Think Win-Win
    5. Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood
    6. Synergize
    7. "Sharpen the Saw"

Time Management flows from self-awareness. Perhaps the most frequently discussed portion of Covey's book is Covey's practical yet profound recommendation regarding time management. Covey promotes weekly planning sessions to line up projects according to how well they fit your core values and goals. He advocates allocating the bulk of your time to tasks you identify as "important" (not to be confused with merely "urgent") by virtue of being closest to your core values and goals. Ideally tasks that you identify as less important will occupy little or none of your time because you will streamline, delegate or drop them altogether.

Empathic Listening is essential to effective communication. Another frequently discussed section of the book is Habit 5 ("First Seek to Understand..." ) found within a chapter appropriately enough entitled "Principles of Empathic Listening." Covey emphasizes the importance, the power, and in some situations the necessity of not merely going through the mechanical responses that might be required for ordinary listening, but opening oneself to the talker to the point where one can actually feel what they are feeling. Covey, as others, believes that the only way to establish communication in some professional and personal situations is by becoming, in small part, the person you are listening to. He uses the words "sensing" (others call it "intuition") to describe the information a listener can perceive through deep, empathic listening. The experience Covey describes, standing for a moment in another's shoes and seeing the world through their eyes, is something everyone is capable of, but most of us rarely (if ever) deliberately do. Covey notes that it takes time to listen empathically and practice to become adept at it, but the reward is a whole new level of communication and problem solving because a person acquires the ability to see a situation simultaneously from multiple points of view.

Listening is essential to effectiveness as a speaker. Covey also points out that to be an effective speaker one has to absorb feedback from (listen to) one's audience and adjust one's presentations according to what works most effectively for them.

Mesa, AZ
    Don't drink the Koolaid...

Pecos, TX
    i didn't think there were any comets around us this time of year....
    i haven't personally read the book... but i've heard good things about it

Central Florida
    Billy that's very positive, thanks for posting...
    I added a few references below...

1. Be Proactive
    "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." - Matt 7:7

2. Begin with the End in Mind
    "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty." - Rev. 1:8

3. Put First Things First
    "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." - Matt. 6:33

4. Think Win-Win
    "That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me." - Rom. 1:12

5. Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood
    "And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity." - 2 Peter 1:5-11

6. Synergize
    "And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" - Matt. 28:18-19

7. Sharpen the Saw
    "Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend." - Prov. 27:17

Houston, Texas
    have the book... good stuff

Thread Information