Exhaust coulpling

Will the coupling clamp breaking on the silicone connector of the exhaust manifold and expansion chamber cause a instant loss of rpm and speed? I lost rpm from 6700 to 5000 and mph from 56 to 40 at the lake last week.

Homer, NY
    Dunno what ski you're on, but yes, an exhaust leak will make your motor run poorly. On my old JS's, they would barely run if the exhaust hose ruptured.

The bigger question is, what caused these to break? On my older skis, this was always caused by a cooling system blockage, causing the exhaust to run hot.....

Just the clamp broke, or do you see any signs of exhaust leaks too?

England.Great Britain . UK
    yep my genesis did last year out at sea. put new clamp on and and took off again

The ski is a 1999 Genesis carbed with 45 hr's. Only the clamp snapped at the worm gear. I do not see any other dammage to the coupler hose.

On my 2000 carbed Genesis the expansion chamber mounting bolt broke off and the expansion chamber slid out of the rubber collar that connects it to the exhaust manifold. It would barely run at all. I had a welding shop remove the broken bolt out of the exhaust manifold. With a new mounting bolt and re-tighten the clamps it ran fine. When the expansion chamber was loose the hull filled with exhaust and water.

Mine is still attatched and just leaking exhaust gas so far. It has affected performance though. Going to re clamp and test it out this weekend.

Thread Information