Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1

Troubleshooting Low Oil Pressure

Has anyone ever had their oil alarm go off, then check their oil (good), then proceed to check their oil pressure with a pressure gauge (extremely low)... and then actually find the oil pressure regulator in the PTO cover was stuck open? I've never heard of one sticking open, but the manual lists it as a probable cause.

Well, I'm off to see if the regulator assembly will clear the bottom of the hull, otherwise, out she comes... again!

Gotta love this sport!

Jeff this is very similar to the problem I had but:
    when the mechanic "re-used my oil pressure reg assy in a new PTO housing, he tightened the cap nut to tight and crushed the cage, causing the piston to stick, hence setting off an alarm...

if you have decent amount of hours on that assy, just replace it and check the bore in the PTO housing for scratches or burrs, that`s what seems to make them hang up as well...

good luck getting in and out correctly, bc i think mine was installed while the cover was in the hull

+1
    Thanks Andy. I ran out of time today, so i'll get on it in the morning. Hopefully, I can break the nut loose while the engine is in place and then clear the regulator springs and piston without hitting the bottom of the hull. I pulled the regulator out of my other PTO while it is on the bench, so I have a good idea what to look for. Pressure is only about 10-15 psi and I can't picture it being that low from slightly worn pumps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 05Limited View Post
    Has anyone ever had their oil alarm go off, then check their oil (good), then proceed to check their oil pressure with a pressure gauge (extremely low)... and then actually find the oil pressure regulator in the PTO cover was stuck open? I've never heard of one sticking open, but the manual lists it as a probable cause.

Well, I'm off to see if the regulator assembly will clear the bottom of the hull, otherwise, out she comes... again!

Gotta love this sport!
    Yes, but it was on a dry sump pump on a racecar. Had great oil pressure going out. Went out made a lap and the driver comes in with low oil pressure. All I could figure was the oil was too cold and force the reg. piston to stick bypassing, losing oil pressure.

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    any history on the motor (been apart or has this problem just happened)

+1
    05 limited, have you checked the oil filter? just in case it has colapsed

+1
    Well, here is an update I'd rather not post.

Finally got around to pulling the engine and checking out my low oil pressure problem.

It is ALWAYS a good idea to put a paper towel in the head under the camshaft sprocket before you install the 3 camshaft bolts... wouldn't want to drop a bolt in a "recently rebuilt" short block.

It's also a good idea to REMOVE said paper towel before buttoning up the engine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00916.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	570.5 KB 
ID:	145567  

Oooww.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 05Limited View Post
    Well, here is an update I'd rather not post.

Finally got around to pulling the engine and checking out my low oil pressure problem.

It is ALWAYS a good idea to put a paper towel in the head under the camshaft sprocket before you install the 3 camshaft bolts... wouldn't want to drop a bolt in a "recently rebuilt" short block.

It's also a good idea to REMOVE said paper towel before buttoning up the engine.
    OMG bro. I know someone who did that exact same thing. I'm not saying who but at first he only cleaned out the rear pto cover and screen not realising that there was a ton of it in the front screen also. When we cleaned it out it was crazy how the pumps actually pushed the paper towel through the screens. He did get lucky and there was no other damage. He did wind up splitting the cases to make sure it was all clean and it was. It was all in the 2 screens and the oil filter.

Doh, at least the oil is clean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information