Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Taking on water in my 1996 Seadoo

The last two times out I have had to pull the drain plug and drain the water out of my Seadoo. I haven't hit anything. NO cracks in the hull...yes I looked. It has a Rotax 700 (sorry new to this forum and asking questions). Can someone point out some obvious stuff to look for on why it is taking on water?

+1
    may be the carbon ring

check the stud on the head pipe from the exhaust manifold if thats not it check the thru hull fitting and seal carrier or if it has a carbon ring make sure its not cracked

If you are sure that the hull is not leaking it has to be coming from hoses or the pipe. Check all hoses especially where they connect, You have 2 small hoses connected to both cyl. on the left side, under the pipe facing the front from behind,very hard to get to. You need to hook water to the engine and make sure it is not leaking where you input the water into the engine.Then look and try to locate the leak and it's source.

Former 2 stroke hater!
    We are working on one at Nicklejets shop with the same problem, We have narrowed it down to the carbon ring (seal) not being tight enough against the collar that locks in the driveshaft. After taking it out today I loosened the clamp and slid the rubber boot holding the carbon ring closer to the collar. I could only move it about 1/4" closer and still have enough clamp area, but it was tighter to the collar. When I say "tight" its not what some might think, its not wear it out tight just a little closer to the collar to hold the ring there better. Ill know how it seals by Monday, if it works Ill repost.

+1
    I had trhe same problem, time to replace that boot and carbon ring, I actually usedf some zip ties to move the boot up like you said, that worked for about a summer !

+1

Question Carbon Ring

So I have checked hoses, clamps, exhaust bolts, etc. How do I get to the carbon ring? Or is it time for the trailer and garden hose test?

Thanks

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    your going to have to take the PTO cover off. when you do that there is a metal flange in front of the accordion boot. its kinda tough but grab it and pull it towards the back of the boat to compress the boot. this will reveal a rubber O-ring around the drive shaft. you may need a second set of hands to do this for your first time but roll that o ring to the front out of its grove. next, take the pump off. you have to unbolt the steering nozzle and the trim arm and the 4 bolts that hold the pump to the hull them pull like hell. pull the drive shaft out about 6in and then you can go back to the inside of the hull. roll the o ring off the front of the driveshaft. the flange will follow and then there is the carbon ring that is between the metal flange and the accordion boot. slip that off and replace.

reverse these steps to install...good luck!

+1

Red face Wow Doggie!

Well, you can tell I am green!!! If the problem got any closer it would have bit me. I was out this morning pushing the rear end down in the water sticking my head in the hull when I backed out and looked at the exhaust manifold (don't know if that is what you call it...the purple thing). Anyway it is missing a big ole bolt. So do I need to take it all they way off and check the o-ring? Should I get some special goop for sealing it once I find a bolt to work?

Thanks.....man oh man am I green!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    get another bolt and see if it leaks. no goop required. there is a gassket there. are you talking about where the head pipe meets the manifold?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information