Thread: new to yamaha

new to yamaha

I just purchased a 2001 1200xlt. I noticed while test driving it it doesnt have the greatest hookup on a idle to wot. I understand this is a cavatation issue? What changes can i do easily to help this. I am not very mechanically inclined, but do know a little. also is this an issue with this model?
    I also need some rear tie downs for trailering, any good places to buy?

also i need a garden hose adapter, where can i get one?

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pres319 View Post
    I just purchased a 2001 1200xlt. I noticed while test driving it it doesnt have the greatest hookup on a idle to wot. I understand this is a cavatation issue? What changes can i do easily to help this. I am not very mechanically inclined, but do know a little. also is this an issue with this model?
    get an aftermarket grate, there are REAL problrms and it will launch you at full throttle....buy a pump plug kit and a large tube of 3m 4200 or 5200 fast cure caulk , this is an issue with this model and the gpr also... this will rliminate your cavitation problem if the prop and wearring are in good shape...
    http://www.islandracingperformance.c...hread.php?t=78

also need to install waveeaater clips (if not done), get carbs rebuilt and rejetted in the near future... maybe even go premix or secure the oil lines so they dont fall off, they are extremely lean from the factory... need to eliminate the cat con and install a d-plate...
    many issues with this ski, very good once these are done... use the search engine to pick up more info
    good luck!

Pres, just bought my first Yamaha also, 00 GP1200R. Have the exact same issues, my impeller is a bit worn, but my wear ring looks good. I'll let you know how the issues are when my impeller gets here. RamsFan, I ordered 3 carb kits for my ski, and mine does look to be running a little lean, and likes to load up and be VERY hard to start after i sit in the water with the ski off for awhile. Do i need the kits, or do i just need to clean up the parts and re jet? Ski only has 70 hours, so i assume it has had a lot of sitting time with stale gas. What do you think i need to do, do i HAVE to order some new jets also?

for tie downs, you may want to try Harbor Freight tools if you have one near by. Great selection, and great prices.

Good Luck.

ok i have another question. If I trim it all the way down it takes off fine, but if its neutral or higher it revs up but doesnt go? thats cavatation right? Do I need to get a new impeller and grate or just one or the other. I dont want high performance I just want it to go! Another words I dont want to spend a bunch of $$$

For the tie downs, go to your local yamaha dealer & get the ones that are designed to fit into the holes in the back of your ski, they are WELL worth it!

Thread Information