Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SeaDoo Or Kawasaki?

Hi first post, cool forums!

I would do a lot more research if I had the time, but I am in Florida and will be leaving soon. The ski's I am interested in are here, and I live in Ohio. I have a wealthy friend who has many Ski's, and all but 2 of them are Down. He said he would sell me some if I want. Forgive me for a lack of some info, and if I can give more, I will when possible.

2 of them are fairly recent Kawasaki Ultra 250's and 2 are Seadoo's maybe Rxp? with 4 tec, probably around 3 yrs old. All are poorly cared for, and worse, run in saltwater. I believe all have locked superchargers. I think I could get any of them for between $1500 and $2000 apiece.

I guess the first question is, which brand's supercharger is more likely to be totally destroyed and unrepairable, and does one or the other have more peripheral damage when a supercharger fails? The ski's have been sitting for roughly a year also.

The second question is, what else is likely to be in bad shape because of the saltwater use with no flushing afterwords? Am i crazy for even considering any of these?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any replies.

Jon

I guess it depends how much work you want to do..keep in mind a new engine may be 4K.

2K for ski, some money put in intial repairs, 4K for engine....you are approaching a brand new RXTX price with a 5 yr warranty thrown in these days....

I buy the seller, and someone who trashes their stuff like that? no thanks!

Id just save the headache, go buy a new one at these bargain prices, and have fun.

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    ultra 250 came out in 07 so might just be GIO
    that would be under a grand to get it up and running.

you could part it out and make back your 2K if it wasn't

Are you saying the engine is likely damaged? Due to salt and no flushing? (I buy the seller)? Not sure what you meant other than he is wasteful? I agree, that is his only real fault, for being so wealthy. He is a great guy otherwise. Just too lazy to care for them properly. Easier to be so lazy if you have that kind of money. They stop working and he just goes and buys another pair. A shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenozzy View Post
    ultra 250 came out in 07 so might just be GIO
    that would be under a grand to get it up and running.

you could part it out and make back your 2K if it wasn't
    Pretty new then, sounds more feasible, hopefully fixable, I would prefer to ride them

GIO? Is that the supercharger?

+1
    GIO = gas in oil

do a search common problem in 07 Ultra and it will stop the ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Hi first post, cool forums!

Welcome to the forum.

2 of them are fairly recent Kawasaki Ultra 250's and 2 are Seadoo's maybe Rxp? with 4 tec, probably around 3 yrs old. All are poorly cared for, and worse, run in saltwater. I believe all have locked superchargers. I think I could get any of them for between $1500 and $2000 apiece.
    Poorly cared for, run n saltwater? Forget it, turn and walk away.

I guess the first question is, which brand's supercharger is more likely to be totally destroyed and unrepairable, and does one or the other have more peripheral damage when a supercharger fails? The ski's have been sitting for roughly a year also.
    Supercharger on the Sea-Doo has always been susceptible to failure, models up to 2007 had ceramic clutch washers, which can shatter and result in major repairs that cost thousands in parts alone. Kawis have their own problems; almost 75 percent of the poll respondents on the Kawi board are claiming they have gas in their oil (GIO) and many of them are forced to change their oil every 10 hours.

The second question is, what else is likely to be in bad shape because of the saltwater use with no flushing afterwords? Am i crazy for even considering any of these?
    Well actually Sea-Doos have CLOSED LOOP cooling, so no salt water moves through the engine. Yes, you are still crazy for considering any of them.
    If you want to RIDE a ski and enjoy it, go buy one with a warranty.

as far as the seadoos go... to be honest yea I would go with a new one if you have the money, if you dont then that ski for 2k is a pretty good deal. You will then spend around 1k for oil change, new supercharger etc... its all a risk though if the washers got in the engine... it might blow up it might not... all depends on how risky u are.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Poorly cared for, run n saltwater? Forget it, turn and walk away.

Supercharger on the Sea-Doo has always been susceptible to failure, models up to 2007 had ceramic clutch washers, which can shatter and result in major repairs that cost thousands in parts alone. Kawis have their own problems; almost 75 percent of the poll respondents on the Kawi board are claiming they have gas in their oil (GIO) and many of them are forced to change their oil every 10 hours.

Well actually Sea-Doos have CLOSED LOOP cooling, so no salt water moves through the engine. Yes, you are still crazy for considering any of them.
    If you want to RIDE a ski and enjoy it, go buy one with a warranty.
    I didn't mean to quote the whole post above. I guess i should have mentioned that I am a pretty handy guy. I bought my 900 and 1100 zxi's off of him 10 years ago. Similar situation, but much less complicated ski's. I went as far as actually successfully straightening 2 of the blades on the 1100's prop, he had sucked up some rocks. I also had to hone one jet housings back into round since it was so abused. If i have a manual so much the better.

BTW. Aren't these ski's like $10-12,000 now-a-days?

+1
    the ultra 9000-10000 range new

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information