Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

95 Sl 750 problems

I have a few issues with my 2 95 sl 750s.

1. After I've been running the ski for about an hour in rough water and taking on some water the ski dies and won't turn over, it cranks but won't fire. I have to get towed in and put it up on the trailer. There is usually a good amount of water in there and after some of it drains out it fires right up. This has happened to me twice. I'm thinking the bilge isn't working or clogged and the extra water in the hull is keeping the engine from firing. Is this a good assessment and how do you test the bilge?

2. My other ski stripped out the coupler and possibly driveshaft. I think the reason this occured is the grease fitting was completely plugged with old dried up grease. The previous owner hadn't run them for 2 years before I got them and I brought them back to life last year. I pumped some grease in there and assumed all was good but obviously not. My questions are should I tear my other ski's coupler/driveshaft apart and clean it out before this happens? I also posted pics below of the damage to the driveshaft and I'm not sure if it is reusable or not. Hopefully the experts can chime in and let me know if I should replace both the coupler and shaft. I'm assuming both due to the wear.

3. I broke one of the long bolts on the pump housing. Any suggestion on how to clean out the threads? pics below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1204.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	404.0 KB 
ID:	140994   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1207.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	562.1 KB 
ID:	140995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1208.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	567.6 KB 
ID:	140996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1211.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	555.3 KB 
ID:	140997  

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    You don't have a bilge pump in there do ya? If so, it didn't come stock on your ski. You should have siphon tubes in the back of the ski attached to the bottom of the hull. Make sure the screens are clean. Now it's time to find out where all that water is coming from. A likely location for the water intrusion is the drive shaft tru-hull seal. Back it into the water and leave it on the trailer. Look around the shaft seal, do you see water leaking in?

That shaft is done! The coupler may be worn as well. You will need to drill the broken bolt and use an EZ-Out bolt extractor to remove the bolt. Apply heat to the pump housing if needed.

+1
    I have an extra pump bolt for ya if its the short pump. Let me know.

I assumed I had a bilge but like usual I was wrong. As for the bolt I'll definitely take it. I'm assuming its a short pump the other bolts are 5 3/4" long. Just let me know how much for it and shipping to 45324.

I have the same problem as in #1. its fine of flat water but if i go out and jump waves, after about 10- 15 minutes of it just starts to bog really bad and eventually cuts off. if i let it sit for a little it will eventually crank after alot of trying. then it runs really bad for a few minutes and then slowly starts to clear up. Im wondering if im getting water in the intake?.. Never seems to be a ton of water in the hull after im done riding though. There is definitely water in there, just not a whole lot.

Update: I just got the broken bolt out. Thanks Starflight for the ez bolt remover suggestion

Now I'm just waiting on a replacement driveshaft and coupler.

+1
    Did you check the splines on the impeller?

You will want to check your pump bearings and make sure they are not binding up and / or going out. Another thing that I would check is your pump - engine alignment. There are some alignment tools out there somewhere which I am in need of also at the moment. I have the stock but I forgot the dimensions to machine the small side down too.

On the one thats cutting out in rough water, next time it happens pop off your carb breather and see if there is any water in there. Also check the screens and lines in your siphon tubes, oh and check the orifices in the jet pump itself.. not sure where you live but here in florida we have these mud wasps that love to make their nests in the jet pump orifices, thus disabling your siphon tubes or worse, the cooling orifices.

The splines on the impeller look brand new, so I'm assuming that it is ok. In order to check the bearings I have to take the impeller off right? That requires a special tool as I understand it. Is there a way to check the bearings without removing the impeller?

I'll definitely check the other one when I'm out again. Can I replace the siphon hose from some tubing from Lowes to make sure nothing is plugged?

If you shaft is bad you can probably use that as your special tool to remove the impeller.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information