1200R Carb rebuild questions

Hello all, new owner of 00 GP1200R, had out 3 times, the last time it almost left me stranded, after sitting off for about 15 minutes, wouldn't start, finally figured out to choke it fully, and got it going. Pulled the freshly installed plugs, look lean to me. I figured it was time to rebuild the carbs and do a few things to the ski now, since it has never had anything done to it. I ordered a D-Plate and chip from Riva, and three carb kits from SBT. I have read so far here that the carbs are jetted lean from the factory; is it 100% necessary for me to order some new jets also? If so, what size and where do i need to order from. Also, do i need the carb kits, or do i just need to go thru and clean up my carbs? My kits do not come with needle and seats, will i be able to clean the old ones, or is it necessary for me to order new ones? One last thing, I asked SBT and Riva about something to crimp down on my oil lines, since I read that they come off the carbs; both salespeople said,"we don't sell those kits, don't worry about it, if you want some additional piece of mind, put and extra zip tie on them,". Anyone have an opinion on this, can i just throw an extra tie on the lines? Thanks everyone for ANY input!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason G View Post
    Hello all, new owner of 00 GP1200R, had out 3 times, the last time it almost left me stranded, after sitting off for about 15 minutes, wouldn't start, finally figured out to choke it fully, and got it going. Pulled the freshly installed plugs, look lean to me. I figured it was time to rebuild the carbs and do a few things to the ski now, since it has never had anything done to it. I ordered a D-Plate and chip from Riva,

actually the R&D D-plate works best with the 1200s

and three carb kits from SBT

not the best quality kits, but they may work

I have read so far here that the carbs are jetted lean from the factory; is it 100% necessary for me to order some new jets also?

no reason to re-jet unless you are adding aftermarket parts... F/As, reeds, milled head, ect

If so, what size and where do i need to order from. Also, do i need the carb kits, or do i just need to go thru and clean up my carbs?

definately need the kits if the carbs are old and coming apart anyways

My kits do not come with needle and seats, will i be able to clean the old ones, or is it necessary for me to order new ones?

possible you could use the old ones, but why risk a problem?

One last thing, I asked SBT and Riva about something to crimp down on my oil lines, since I read that they come off the carbs; both salespeople said,"we don't sell those kits, don't worry about it, if you want some additional piece of mind, put and extra zip tie on them,". Anyone have an opinion on this, can i just throw an extra tie on the lines?

couple of threads on securing oil lines... try the search button

Thanks everyone for ANY input!

Thanks WFO!!!!!

Thread Information