What do I look for in Damage? (engine)

I have a Virage 1200 3 cyl. Well, I purchased the skis and I think that there was damage as far as a cracked jug. It is at the very bottom of the jug, where it mounts up to the block maybe 1" up from the block to jug mating surface. It isnt bad, but it was enough to get the boat heavy in the water, so the ski took in some water. It looked to me that is was only a water jacket port, nothing that will hold cylinder pressure. It was shut off, but when I got it to the trailer, I pulled the plugs to see if there was any water in the motor, and water came out of all 3 cylinders. I was doing a pressure check and the the first cylinder(facing the front of the boat) had 30 psi, the 2nd cylinder (middle one) had 100 psi and the 3rd cylinder, (rear of the boat) had maybe 15 psi.
    I do understand this is bad but what exactly do I look for when I have everything is apart as far as maybe small damage. I took everything apart already and I didnt notice anything, so it cant be MAJOR damage inside it.
    Oh, this is a carbed boat, NOT injected
    I am very mechanically inclinded, but I know nothing of water damage and hoe two strokes work or what can go wrong with them as different times, this is a learning step for me.

any ideas to what to look for or what I can do on a budjet to get these things back on the water I would greatly appreciate it!!!!!

Need Information of 1200 (Help)

I have a Virage 1200 3 cyl. Well, I purchased the skis and I think that there was damage as far as a cracked jug. It is at the very bottom of the jug, where it mounts up to the block maybe 1" up from the block to jug mating surface. It isnt bad, but it was enough to get the boat heavy in the water, so the ski took in some water. It looked to me that is was only a water jacket port, nothing that will hold cylinder pressure. It was shut off, but when I got it to the trailer, I pulled the plugs to see if there was any water in the motor, and water came out of all 3 cylinders. I was doing a pressure check and the the first cylinder(facing the front of the boat) had 30 psi, the 2nd cylinder (middle one) had 100 psi and the 3rd cylinder, (rear of the boat) had maybe 15 psi.
    I do understand this is bad but what exactly do I look for when I have everything is apart as far as maybe small damage. I took everything apart already and I didnt notice anything, so it cant be MAJOR damage inside it.
    Oh, this is a carbed boat, NOT injected
    I am very mechanically inclinded, but I know nothing of water damage and hoe two strokes work or what can go wrong with them as different times, this is a learning step for me.

any ideas to what to look for or what I can do on a budjet to get these things back on the water I would greatly appreciate it!!!!!

Thanks
    Marco

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You need to get the crank case dried out, and all the crank bearings thoroughly oiled, before rust sets in.

All of this has already been taken care of. It was cleaned that evening, so I know nothing of this has an affect of why it is not running.

There is no water that stayed in the motor longer than maybe 4 hours at most.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, the engine filling with water probably happened during the tow.

There is a cooling water supply hose that must be clamped off before you get towed. Otherwise, towing at any speed above dead slow will pressurize the cooling system from the jet pump (even though the engine is not running) .

The exhaust system has a water injection nozzle that sprays water into the exhaust stream to cool the exhaust flow. When the engine is running, this water gets blown out the exhaust system. When the engine is not running and you are being towed, the injected water accumulates inside the exhaust pipe, and back flows into the engine itself.

If you attempt to crank the engine with the spark plugs in place, and there is liquid water inside the engine, the piston tries to compresses the water. This doesn't succeed, and often the result is a cracked piston and/or bent connecting rod.

If your connecting rods are not bent, and the crank shaft bearings are still OK, then you will need to replace the damage cylinder, and have two or three cylinders bored.

New piston kits to match the cylinder core sizes, with new rings and bearings.

The service manual has more rebuild info.

+1
    How long was it wet. Did you get the engine apart and get the crank dry or oiled up quickly.

Pistons are relatively inexpensive, cylindrs can be honed, if the crank got rusty, it will eed to be rebuilt

hi if the pistons look good.and bore. put ring in bore about 10mm in and check ring gap clearance. think service gap max 0.070. if good check head gasket sealing. crank if not rusty, check main bearing spin smooth and not noisy. or replace. also check connecting rod big end and wrist pin. look on crankshalf webs to see etched numbers plus faint line on web 2 .3 .4 .5 see if they line up with steelrule if they dont crank twisted and needs rebuild. hope this is useful

Quote Originally Posted by justfun View Post
    hi if the pistons look good.and bore. put ring in bore about 10mm in and check ring gap clearance. think service gap max 0.070. if good check head gasket sealing. crank if not rusty, check main bearing spin smooth and not noisy. or replace. also check connecting rod big end and wrist pin. look on crankshalf webs to see etched numbers plus faint line on web 2 .3 .4 .5 see if they line up with steelrule if they dont crank twisted and needs rebuild. hope this is useful
    Yes, this is very useful. It was wet and water was in the motor for maybe 3-4 hours at most till I cleaned it. I know for a fact that there is no rust anywhere in the motor. I looked for any type of bent rods, but there wasnt any (at least that I can tell, if they were bent, it isnt bad at all and I could still turn the engine over with all the pistons and everything installed) I will be looked at the numbers and see what I can come up with!!!
    Thanks

sounds like you may have hydrolocked the engine, which may be the initial problem of the cracked cylinder. I too purchased a jetski with the back cylinder broken, I had to replace the crank as it sat too long with out being cleaned. Check your cylinders, max service limit on the rings is .028 normal gap is .14 to .20 when new, according to the manual which is available on the site. How are your pistons, should not have low cylinder pressure...

all of the above and Cylinder Exchange Kits are available from..... shopsbt.com

Thread Information