Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Power Loss

Rodney, you plonker...

Power Loss

Hi Guys,
    been out on the ski today (Virage 2001 700cc), had a great time, untill...
    it developed a sort of random loss of power, it revs fine out of water; all the way to 7000rpm when it hits the limiter. However, under load in water, it revs only to about 3500~4500rpm, unless you feather it up to higher revs, but then it drops the revs off again and comes back in, any clues as to what this can be? I changed the spark plugs, made sure they were to (.028") 0.7mm, i took the fuel/water seperator out aswell, emptied it, found some gritty black bits in it so i cleaned that and the fliter out, i was just thinking about the carb too? am i right in assuming it's a fuel problem?

Cheers!

+1
    I would start with a compression test,than check the carb,especially the screen located behind the needle and seat.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Gritty stuff in the separator? Time to think about investigating and possibly cleaning the rest of the fuel system.

Does this engine have the original gray Tempo fuel hoses?
    Look here;
    Polaris Domestic (red) engine

Has the fuel filter been changed recently?
    If anything has clogged it, you will not have full power.

If any contamination has reached the carbs, then the carbs need to be taken apart and cleaned.

You might also want to look inside, or even drain and clean out, the fuel tank. Any grit, water or dirt in the fuel tank is more than you want.

Rodney, you plonker...
    compression is good, had 150PSI on each.

yes, it does have the original grey tempo fuel hoses, as i've read from your link, that may not be good?

Rodney, you plonker...
    i took the carb off and cleaned it all out, found the ugly green sludge around the insides of the pipes too, so i shall get them replaced as soon as possible, i was thinking of taking them off and blowing an air line through the carb to clear everything little bit out, does that sound like a good idea?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by NtBlstr View Post
    i took the carb off and cleaned it all out, found the ugly green sludge around the insides of the pipes too, ...
    What do you mean by cleaned the carb?

The proper way to clean a carburetor is to dis-assemble it, and rebuild it with new seals, seats and needles. Carbs have many tiny passages inside, and they cannot be cleaned without taking them apart.

Rodney, you plonker...
    i took it off, took that regulator diaphragm of the side, took the regulator chamber off, i also cleaned off the small mesh filter that was there, as it had alot of the green gunk on it too, basically got every small piece of crap out of it, i also took the time to check the reeds and they are fine too, which leaves me rather suspicious of that small mesh screen, also the cap that holds the diaphragm on the side seems to be seeping out a rather small amount of fuel, i noticed underneath that side being damp with petrol before i removed it, although i wondered if that would be expected as a little air can seep past the ring on the inside of it (and the diaphragm is made from nylon?)

on a second note, i replaced all the fuel lines too, so no more grey tempo pipes either, im guessing the fuel system is totally clear now, started it up fine and it revs fine too, if the seeping out of the side of the carb isnt an issue then possibly is it time to try it in the water? as it was under load in the water that it had the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by NtBlstr View Post
    i took it off, took that regulator diaphragm of the side, took the regulator chamber off, i also cleaned off the small mesh filter that was there, as it had alot of the green gunk on it too, basically got every small piece of crap out of it, i also took the time to check the reeds and they are fine too, which leaves me rather suspicious of that small mesh screen, also the cap that holds the diaphragm on the side seems to be seeping out a rather small amount of fuel, i noticed underneath that side being damp with petrol before i removed it, although i wondered if that would be expected as a little air can seep past the ring on the inside of it (and the diaphragm is made from nylon?)

on a second note, i replaced all the fuel lines too, so no more grey tempo pipes either, im guessing the fuel system is totally clear now, started it up fine and it revs fine too, if the seeping out of the side of the carb isnt an issue then possibly is it time to try it in the water? as it was under load in the water that it had the issue.
    no fuel at all should leak from the carburetor. can be very dangerous too.

Rodney, you plonker...
    right then, how would i solve this seeping from the regulator diaphragm side? there is 1 hole in the center of the side plate and one is the bottom of it thinking back, these would allow air movement to allow the diaphragm to 'breath', as no fuel should get past the diaphragm itself, is it possible to seal the center it untill i can order a new one? Polaris parts are a bit scarce it seems in the UK

cant think of anything to fix a pin size hole in a diaphragm that stretches when its working. Hmmm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information