'96 SL700 Charging issues

Wife's 1996 Polaris SL700. Just bought about a month ago.

CDI good - battery low - not charging. I have looked through the Polaris manual and studied it quite a bit and been searching this forum/lurking all month. When running at about 3000rpms, the volt reading on the battery stays at 12.3 and begins to drop over time - stator not charging...

After trying to take ohms readings for testing the stator based on all the helpful information on this forum and the manual, I was getting very strange readings. The ground wire coming from the stator had melted insulation around it in the electrical box. That had me concerned. Checked/double checked all grounds. All grounds seemed clean and tight, good connections. Finally decided to pull the engine so that I could easily get into the stator/flywheel housing and have a look around. First time pulling engine on a jetski.

I cracked open the flywheel/stator housing cover and about 1/2 quart of mucky looking water poured out. The inside of the housing looked really bad. Everything covered in muddy water and silt. I'm guessing that is why the stator is not charging and I was getting all sorts of strange ohms readings. It seems the former owner did something with the stator (replaced?) and didnt' seat the rubber grommet into the opening on the flywheel housing. Instead, he poured some sort of glue/epoxy over the opening to try to seal it off. I think that's where the murky water got in.

I'm not 100% sure if the CDI and stator are original or have been updated. The CDI has yellow marker writing on it - crossed out the original part number and written another part number on it. It's not a "red pod" epoxy at the base of the CDI - it's all black. There are 8 (or 9) wires going to the stator from the CDI and electrical box.

Questions:

1) Is the stator fried if it has been sitting in murky water inside the housing for all this time?

2) If I need to replace, how do I know for sure if it's already an updated CDI/stator or if I need an upgrade kit? How do I know what part to order - original or updated?

3) What else should I be looking for/doing to get this resolved?

Thank you in advance..

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have a look here;
    Polaris Domestic (red) engine

Especially at this;
    How do I test old and new domestic red engine CDI, Magneto and Ignition coils?

If you CDI has Yellow hand written part number, it may be an updated part.

What is the part number in Yellow?

One way to tell if the stator is original or update type is whether there are several blank/unused 'fingers' without coil windings. The updated ignition stator has less windings, so a couple of the metal 'fingers' are not used.

Update Kit two cylinder stator shown below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris 1999 Polaris SLTH two-cylinder updated electrical stator.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	141049  

+1
    Water and resistance checks usually don't mix. Dry out the stator,than check the charging coil.
    I've seen the black wire with the updated stator/wiring get hot and melt from too much cranking. Doesn't neccesarilly mean the stator is bad. But check the charging circuit first.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    ... I've seen the black wire with the updated stator/wiring get hot and melt from too much cranking....
    Would that be when the small black wire to the battery was left intact, instead of being cut per the Update Kit instructions?

+1
    No,it was on an 01 SLX that wouldn't start ( bad voltage reg) I'm pretty sure the starter solenoid was drawing that much power,it should have been the only thing on when cranking.

Thank you for the help, k447 and Casey67.

I just checked the part number on the CDI. The original number was 1010803 (it was crossed out). The handwritten part number is: 4010449.

As for the stator, it looks like the one you pictured, k447: three blank "fingers". Only mine is really, really corroded and covered in silt and not shiny copper. So, based on this information, I guess I can assume that it has been updated at some point in its lifetime.

Now, since it is corroded, do you guys think I can clean it up and reuse it, or will I need to invest in a new stator? It looks like it has some mineral deposits on it as well as being dirty and corroded.

If I need to replace, how do I go about finding replacements since I can no longer go by the original ski model information? Where would be the best/most affordable place to find one if I need to?

Also, I did see the ground wire that you are referring to. It was disconnected and just laying unconnected with the wires harnesses. I wondered what it was doing there...

Thanks.

+1
    I tried looking up the part #'s at Babbits.com. They only show the update kit for the stator $296 ,ouch. They do show the CDI,but say to call them,probably not available.
    I would try to dry it out,gently clean it and measure the charging coil resistance.

The most common reason for it to not charge is the voltage regulator.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rshumaker View Post
    ... I just checked the part number on the CDI. The original number was 1010803 (it was crossed out). The handwritten part number is: 4010449.

As for the stator, it looks like the one you pictured, k447: three blank "fingers". Only mine is really, really corroded and covered in silt and not shiny copper. So, based on this information, I guess I can assume that it has been updated at some point in its lifetime.

Now, since it is corroded, do you guys think I can clean it up and reuse it, or will I need to invest in a new stator? It looks like it has some mineral deposits on it as well as being dirty and corroded.

If I need to replace, how do I go about finding replacements since I can no longer go by the original ski model information?

Where would be the best/most affordable place to find one if I need to?

Also, I did see the ground wire that you are referring to. It was disconnected and just laying unconnected with the wires harnesses. I wondered what it was doing there...
    4010449 is the actual part number of the CDI.

Polaris/PVL has some production hiccups over the years, and some CDI were put into plastic housings with the wrong numbers, so they just re-marked the hosuings with the correct part numbers. In some cases, they got lazy and just re-marked the last few digits of the part number

The replacement stator to match your Update Kit CDI is 4010402.

If yours cannot be rescued, you can order a replacement from a Polaris OEM parts source, or a good used one may be available.
    Polaris PWC Parts Sources

You may need to call, as the online sources don't seem to have a listing for 4010402. It is possible you can switch to a 2000 or newer two cylinder stator, but the cover seals around the stator cable differently.

Electrically and mechanically, I think they are interchangeable.

You can try cleaning up your current stator. First use a general dirt removing cleaner like simple Green. Then apply a rust dissolver product that is not going to also dissolve the plastics or attack the copper wire insulation.

Rinse thoroughly, and air dry. Compressed air might be helpful.

Once you get it cleaned up, examine all the wiring for corrosion or weak connections. Remember that the stator will be bolted to a hot, vibrating engine, in a marine environment. You want it to be reliable in there.

Thank you both for the advice. It's nice to have you as a resource.

I'll go ahead and try to clean it up and see... If not, I at least know what I'm dealing with now and know what part number to look for. thanks.

Thread Information