Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does this sound like a carb problem?

Well just got back from west side of michigan for a week vacation with my family!! I had a great time we used the ski alot but it still seems to have a carb problem. After i start it, it will die if you give it throttle. And then again after you drive it for awhile then let it sit idle it will bog out if you give it throttle or just stall. The only way to use it is right when it starts up you have to go just about all out. And once you are up and going it runs great you just can't let it go to idle for more then a few seconds or it will die or bog out on throttle and die. Its a 95slt 750 I have done the fuel pump change as well as fuel lines and filters. Does this sound like a carb problem. Or could it be starving for fuel from the fuel selector? I want to take it back on vaction in a month and would like to get this worked out soon.

+1
    Hey Jeff, is there gas dripping out the bottom of the carbs? I have a similar problem and I completely rebuilt the carbs and still have the same problem.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    It does sound carb related.

Make sure your carb settings are set to spec first.

The petcock would starve the fuel and cause high speed issues, not take off.

Have a look at your psiton wash to see what the piston tops can tell you.

Also wouldn't hurt to do a compression test either.

+1
    Check the reeds too. I had an sl 650 that had one petal broken on one cylinder that acted like that. It would bog real bad on first takeoff, but if you could get it going it would run ok. The one cylinder basically had no low end power and the other two were trying to pull that cylinder causing it to bog bad. Not saying that's your problem for sure, but something else to check.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    That is a possibility. ^^^^^^^

Remove your F/A and run the engine. Is there gas spitting out the top of the carb? (A little mist is normal)

Whats a F/A?

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Flame arrestor.

O.K. Thats what i thought, Amd that is what came to me when I was mowing the lawn. Im going out to do this now, So I just take off the (FA) and just look to see it is spitting gas when its started?

P.S ujustlost, Thanks for the offer I may just take you up on that carb rebuild and maybe a compression test too!!

Well that was easy, (I hope I did it right). I took the screen part off and started it up and looked for and spiting or misting. I seen none after doing it twice. But when I was doing this if I tried to give it throttle it was bogging down. It usually does not do this when on the trailer when only being started and given some throttle for a few seconds. So I guess im back to carbs? Or is there anything else I need to look at?

Thanks,
    Jeff

+1
    what you did is checking the carbs for low speed leaking sort of. The needles and seats and pop off springs are what would cause leaking at idle where you were looking. So now check those reeds. Take the carb rack off and intake/s and pull those reeds out and take a look for missing or broken pedals. Are your carbs leaking out the back side?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information