+1

How to attach a PWC step?

Hi, I'm trying to put a step PWC step on the Jetmate. (I know, but there's no help for vintage Kawi PWC's anywhere on the internet, unless I want to get suggestions like "Use Gorilla Glue" over on PWCYesterday)

The problem is there's no access to the inside of the hull. It's inner/outer and filled with foam.

There is a bucket that holds the gas tank and battery directly over where I'd need to bolt, I'm trying to bolt thru only about 2 inches under this bucket. But it's basically not removeable. Several fittings pass thru the bucket and are epoxied into place.

Anybody think of a way to bolt this thing on strong enough to hold a 200 lb man, without getting to the backside for backing plates/nuts? Or am I going to have to cut holes for access, and then glass back over when I'm done?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5225.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	141067   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5224.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	141068   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5223.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	141069  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    How think is the outer hull material where you want to put the mounting bolts?

If there is enough thickness to hold the stress of you standing on the step, then you can use AVK inserts.

Have a look at the AVK web site, and here is an AVK PDF brochure.

I think Polaris used the AR series on parts of the MSX hull (look around under the front), and I think the AR would be a good choice, if there is room for the insert to expand behind.

The AR type was also included with the update for the 2004 MSX 140 boarding step kit.

If the material is too thick, use the AL type that just expands inside the hole.

+1
    Yeah, I guess that's the big question, is it thick enough? It's a Kawi, so probably not... It's solid right there where I want to put the step, but you can push on the hull anywhere and make it flex slightly.

That's why I wanted to get in there to put in a backer plate, something to distribute the load.

I guess I'm going to have to cut holes in the bottom of that bucket under the gas tank, and then glass the bucket back together when I'm done. Sigh.

Interesting they used AR rivets on the updated step? Because that's an MSX 110/140/150 step I'm installing. But the MSX has a nice block of aluminum glassed into the hull, and scribe marks on the outside. All you do with this kit is drill, tap the aluminum, and mount the step with the 1/4"-20 bolts. Very well thought out....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    ... Interesting they used AR rivets on the updated step?

Because that's an MSX 110/140/150 step I'm installing. But the MSX has a nice block of aluminum glassed into the hull...
    Only the 2003 MSX 140 hull has the aluminum plate embedded into the hull.

The 2004 MSX hulls did not have the metal plates, so Polaris had to issue the 2875141 'update kit' for the 2859043 boarding step installation.

And then the wrong bolt length was included for the AVK installation tool, so they had to update that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris MSX boarding ladder kit 2004 update 2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	141106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris MSX boarding ladder kit 2004 update 3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	141107  

+1
    So you're saying that the 2004 MSX didn't have the aluminum plate, and instead just relied on the riv-nuts to hold? Interesting, I wouldn't think that would be strong enough.... If it's strong enough for the MSX, I'm thinking it would be fine for the Jetmate too.....

Plus a little Gorilla Glue!

Thread Information