+1

I need some help with O2 sensor calibration with LM-2

I got my LM-2 all hooked up yesterday and calibrated per the instructions:
    2.1 Sensor Calibration
    The calibration procedure requires that the oxygen sensor be in free air, not in the
    exhaust.
    1. Connect the oxygen sensor to the provided sensor cable and then to the
    appropriate port on the LM-2. Note: The dual channel LM-2 model allows you to
    connect both oxygen sensors to the unit at the same time to do the calibration
    simultaneously.
    2. Connect the LM-2 to the cigarette power plug with the provided cigarette power
    adapter.
    3. The sensor(s) will start warming up. The LM-2
    will display WXX, where XX is the percentage of
    temperature reached. Notice the status bar
    displaying a ‘W’.
    4. Next is the calibration procedure. Press and hold the Mode button until the
    Configuration Menu appears. Select ‘Calibrate Sensors’ and press the Enter
    button.
    5. Confirm by selecting ‘Start Sensor Calibration’ and press the Enter button.
    6. The display will momentarily display ‘Cal’ and then it will switch to reading a
    percentage of oxygen. If the oxygen content now differs from 20.9% by more
    than 0.4%, repeat the calibration.
    7. The LM-2 is calibrated and ready for use.
    The first time I calibrated in free air it showed 20.9 as it's supposed to. I plugged the sensor into the exhaust & was seeing 7.4 & 11.1 respectively at idle & partial throttle. I removed the sensor to make sure it was still properly calibrated and now saw the reading jump around from 2-10 in free air. Now every time I attempt to recalibrate in free air the reading keeps jumping around. I took the ski for a test run tonight with the LM-2 & was seeing a constant reading of 7.4 at any rpm unless I blipped the throttle. Also, when I changed the fuel setting on the powershot there was no change in the reading so I'm pretty sure it's not showing an accurate AFR. Am I doing something wrong, or is it possible I damaged the sensor somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    I got my LM-2 all hooked up yesterday and calibrated per the instructions:

The first time I calibrated in free air it showed 20.9 as it's supposed to. I plugged the sensor into the exhaust & was seeing 7.4 & 11.1 respectively at idle & partial throttle. I removed the sensor to make sure it was still properly calibrated and now saw the reading jump around from 2-10 in free air. Now every time I attempt to recalibrate in free air the reading keeps jumping around. I took the ski for a test run tonight with the LM-2 & was seeing a constant reading of 7.4 at any rpm unless I blipped the throttle. Also, when I changed the fuel setting on the powershot there was no change in the reading so I'm pretty sure it's not showing an accurate AFR. Am I doing something wrong, or is it possible I damaged the sensor somehow?

I have had some issues with these things and my XD16 gauge and will be moving to a Motec SDL and Lambda. Right now my XD16 shows 30-40 on my DL-32 and normal readings using the LM-2 so sensors are good.

Anyway, here are some of the things I have seen and dealt with.

• Check the wiring, particularly if you keep getting E8's (heater issues)
    • Connect the LM Programmer and verify that you are set up for Gasoline if applicable. (Re) Apply default factory settings
    • Test your sensor after CAL in free air - using a lighter to shoot some butane (un-lit) into the sensor, the numbers should go up...
    • Check the wiring again
    • If you are using a terminator make sure it is secure
    • If you should crap out a sensor they can be obtained from the auto store for much less than what IM sells them for Bosch LSU 4.2 (17014 I think)

In the config you have options for different types of fuel. If you are not on gasoline, you will not read accurately. Does your gauge show the heater countdown?

+1
    It shows the heater countdown & then displays AFR with no errors, so it seems to be connected properly. I just connected to LM Programmer to confirm it was set for gas & noticed a reset calibration button. I clicked it & will try to calibrate again in the morning when it is cool enough to remove the sensor. They did send me a firmware update which I loaded after the initial calibration which may have thrown it off, so I'm hoping the reset feature will allow me to recalibrate.

I just read this in the manual, & I'm hoping I didn't fry it:

It is NOT a good idea to do a sensor warm-up prior to starting the vehicle.
    Depending on the climate and the sensor position in the exhaust, condensation can
    form in the exhaust pipes. This condensation could then be blown by the exhaust
    stream against the hot sensor when the car is started. The resulting heat shock can
    permanently damage the sensor.

+1
    No such luck...looks like I'll be going to the auto parts store tomorrow for a new sensor & hoping they have them in stock. I tried recalibrating several times & I keep getting random #'s from 0.0-12.8 in free air.

BTW, the R&D adaptor is a ridiculously designed POS. I wasn't able to remove the sensor without turning the whole adaptor & was forced to turn it out 1/8th turn at a time because there's almost no room to get a wrench on it. The tool they provide makes it impossible to torque in the adaptor without torquing the tool to the adaptor. I had to use the included plug from innovate to try and tighten it down, but it obviously wasn't tight enough. I threw the F'n thing in the trash & will get the one Riva makes on Mon. It has a nut shaped fitting on top like the one Jerry had made & should work much easier.

No such luck...looks like I'll be going to the auto parts store tomorrow for a new sensor & hoping they have them in stock. I tried recalibrating several times & I keep getting random #'s from 0.0-12.8 in free air.

BTW, the R&D adaptor is a ridiculously designed POS. I wasn't able to remove the sensor without turning the whole adaptor & was forced to turn it out 1/8th turn at a time because there's almost no room to get a wrench on it. The tool they provide makes it impossible to torque in the adaptor without torquing the tool to the adaptor. I had to use the included plug from innovate to try and tighten it down, but it obviously wasn't tight enough. I threw the F'n thing in the trash & will get the one Riva makes on Mon. It has a nut shaped fitting on top like the one Jerry had made & should work much easier.
    If you did not have it sealed/tight, it is going to read lean and variable.

+1
    I picked up a replacement O2 sensor & was having the same problem, so I reloaded the new 1.13 firmware update & that fixed it...guess it didn't take the first time. I also got the Riva adaptor & it's well worth the extra $15.

I picked up a replacement O2 sensor & was having the same problem, so I reloaded the new 1.13 firmware update & that fixed it...guess it didn't take the first time. I also got the Riva adaptor & it's well worth the extra $15.

Glad it's working. I need to put re-flashing the firmware on the list when I'm having an issue. Until I get Lambda on the MoTec anyway...

Thread Information