Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

2002 F-12X won't pass 27mph

Hi, I have a new-to-me F-12X. I took it out today and I can't get it beyond 27mph and it's laggy. The last time I wrenched on a PWC was in 1993 (had a 1989 Sea Doo and 1987 Jetski 300) so I'm reintroducing myself to PWC maintenance. Turbos are new to me too.
    I've been reading that I should change the oil/air filter/plugs as a first shot. I also noticed posts on the wastegate solenoid. I'm not sure how to test it or where it's located. Any help/advice is appreciated.

+1
    Tonight I pumped out 5.25 US qts of oil from my engine. You gotta love how stealerships maintain your PWCs.

LOW SPEED

It always seen so common that there is always to much oil, the dealers must just put in 4 quarts no matter what, you can do it yourself cheap and easy, just need a oil extractor that will hook up to a drill, and I always use a gallon milk container so I know how much came out.

The wastegate solenoid is located on top of the intake air box at the back, it works by closing once the propper boost is reached making sure that the wastgate on the turbo opens so it will not over boost, when the ski is off it will be closed and you will not be able to blow through it, and when the ski is running, you will be able to blow through it, and once the ski is at propper boost it closes senting all pressure to the wastegate. Make sure that the wastegate is working ok you should be able to move it with you hand it should slide kind of easily if not pull the clip on the underside of the arm and try again, if it moves then it should be ok unless it is rusted out, then try moving the arm on the turbo it sould move freely, if not then this will have to be fixed.

Let us know.

Promod
    H20 Xtreme Inc.
    [email protected]

+1

Tested it and it Failed

Thanks for the turbo info. When I looked at it the turbo was super rusty. I dumped CRC656 all over it multiple times. Tomorrow night I will see what moves. Do you think the turbo is the cause? I thought it would be problematic somewhere around the top end (i.e. 50-55mph and above 5000 rpms)? I'm a turbo newbie so maybe that is the wrong conclusion...

So I swapped out the oil, oil filter, gas and put in new plugs. I took it out on the water tonight and it still had the same issues. WOT and I can get 3600 rpms MAX and nothing faster than 28mph. When I got back home I flushed it out and I am able to rev the engine (while on the hose) easily around 5500 rpms and no doubt more is possible. I attached a photo to show my top end speed. I also included a youtube link with me at WOT. Man it's sad!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rpm_pic.JPG 
Views:	281 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	141707  

I build Horsepower
    +1
    Do to Nitro Check on the WGS and report back.

Shawn

check turbo

Make sure you check the turbo. Take off the airbox hose on the intake side of the turbo and stick your hand in there and make sure the turbo blades will spin freely. I had a ski that sat for a year and the turbo was stuck and it would only turn those rpms and stay at that speed.

+1
    I'm going about 46mph now but the warning signal went off and I'm throwing FI codes. (3 flashes from the warning). The pwc will lag after throwing the code. If I stop/start it doesn't lag anymore. Right now I'm figuring out how to read the codes. The rpms hit about 4000rpms prior to the warning.

BTW the turbo was stuck and I fixed that. The WGS is working. I'll update when I get the code. Thanks everyone!

+1
    When I hook up the lanyard to the kill switch I am not hearing any warning. I tried pressing SET and Mode for 5 secs. No luck on getting the code. ANy ideas?

+1
    Hi Everyone.
    I removed the dummy connector from the service connector switch and used a jumper between the 2 terminals. I attached the safety lanyard clip to the base of the engine
    stop switch. I pushed the SET and MODE switches at the same time. I think I have codes 12, 15, 42 and 45. Now I was on the water
    today and I'm not 100% how many times I caused the warning light to go off (maybe 4?). So how do I read the codes? Would
    12 be the most recent one? Check out my youtube video pls:

When the warning light occurred on the water and pretty much lost all power. If I stop/restarted I could run WOT until the next warning.
    I have the explanations for the codes in my manual but THERE SURE ARE ALOT OF POSSIBITIES. Any help is appreciated.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Sorry. Don't know a damn thing about these skis. Wish I could help. Reading Honda stuff because I am thinking about buying one and want to familiarize myself with the issues/failings. Have noticed a good many threads that just kinda end with no resolution posted.
    People, please finish and let guys know what you found. That is the only way we can learn is when folks share how they RESOLVED the issue/issues they are having.
    It seems there are a few guys on here (you know who you are) that really know these machines quite well and do chime in and help. Thats what the Hulk is all about. Thank you to them.
    Sorry to jack your thread and good luckto ya, Rod.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information