Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ^^^ I took that Pic!^^^ PixxByTango's Avatar

Cool Skegs on my FX SHO! GPS 1.85 MPH+

My goal here was to find the best way to go fast for the type of riding I do. Typically I ride the surf and from time to time... that means 2-5 foot seas depending upon the tides. The creek and river inlets to the Atlantic are always changing from a ripple to whipped whitecaps, so having the ultimate control and straightline performance in such conditions has been my goal. Granted... I am coming from owning a 2007 Ultra 250 that had the GIO issues but loved its rough water capability.

So... my fastest speed stock was gps 67.4 [email protected] rpm, 230 lbs, full fuel, 95 degrees OAT, 91 degrees ET, 88 degrees WT, One click up trim, Sea Level (Atlantic), Saltwater.

I removed the exhaust silencer and gained midrange acceleration and .5 mph under almost identical conditions.

My new speed update with all conditions the same other than OAT being 91 degrees is: 69.75 mph [email protected]??RPM

Dayum I want 70!!!

I have purchased but not yet installed the R&D CFM kit as I am awaiting my boost guage and a few other items before doing the install... and because I met another girl on the beach the other day who wants to ride the whole week while she is visiting Tybee Island. So having the ski down for a day or two just won't work for the future of opportunity!

In trying to increase stability on the rough stuff, I decided to add skegs to the ride plate. I searched and found a couple people who tried it. Read the warnings about the turning, (OMFG!!!) and made some while at work! I am in the aircraft structures bidness, so aquiring interesting metals and fasteners is easy. I honestly never thought I would see a gain in speed but its amazing how much easier the ski is to ride. Turning takes a bit more push but tracking is so much better, its worth it. On center at wide open throttle the steering is "in Play" with the slack of the factory cable. Meaning, there is no having to offset the nozzle to maintain straightline tracking which is where I am attributing the gain in forward speed.

I went from the Back River to the Ocean to find that hitting the rough stuff is SO MUCH EASIER!! When flying from wake to wake, and crossing converging waves, the ski remains on track and doesn't want to "slide" off the wave, even when coming out of the air to catch the down slope of a wave at speed... 50+ mph. This has removed the "hunting" the SHO had that the Ultra didn't have on really rough surf.

I added a 110 pound (guessing) bikini rider on the back and noticed a much improved handling with zero washout.

The only drawback is the extreme turning when you push it over at speed. You find that its almost like riding a sportbike when dragging a knee. If you set up for the turn, you can hang but be ready for the turn and stay in the throttle. It is very predictable and can be controlled... just takes getting used to.

Here are my pics below. I will remove the plate this week and use aircraft Pro-Seal to fill all the voids and smooth out the plate.

Here is my Proposed Race Course that I am working on getting City of Tybee Island approval for. It will give you an idea of the water where I usually ride in.

That looks like some good work... Don't try any 360's I bet it will just grab and toss you off

Quote Originally Posted by dcs191919 View Post
    That looks like some good work... Don't try any 360's I bet it will just grab and toss you off
    I don't do 360's but I have found the sweet spot where it will crank some serious G's in a turn.

Day two of testing was conclusive in 20 miles of offshore riding... the skegs are worth the effort.

you should install the intake grate it helps....

+1

Nice!

Thanks for that.
    It's going on the "to do" list.

Quote Originally Posted by allstar71 View Post
    you should install the intake grate it helps....
    Oh yeah... I am planning on it. Still waiting to see if there really is a noticeable difference between the Riva and the R&D one before I buy. So far... my experience with R&D has been top notch, so I am leaning towards theirs.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by PixxByTango View Post
    Oh yeah... I am planning on it. Still waiting to see if there really is a noticeable difference between the Riva and the R&D one before I buy. So far... my experience with R&D has been top notch, so I am leaning towards theirs.
    I use both Riva and R&D's grates. R&D Aquavain Intake better hook-up for off-shore conditions, without a doubt! Riva's better if doing circuit in light chop or speed runs IM (humble) O. For your race, I would recommend R&D's. We ride extreme off-shore conditions down here in Cayman so it's been put to the test, trust me. Good luck with your race man!!

Quote Originally Posted by PixxByTango View Post
    I don't do 360's but I have found the sweet spot where it will crank some serious G's in a turn.

Day two of testing was conclusive in 20 miles of offshore riding... the skegs are worth the effort.

I removed them today... changing the fasteners from temporary screws to aircraft flush Hylocs. That way there will be no protruding or depressed fastners. I am also sealing the skegs to the ride-plate after having them anodized and trimming the pro-seal to fill the plate gaps to the hull for a perfectly smooth transition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information