stx 1200 has been sitting up !

I am looking at buying an 04 STX 1200. I am woking on it for a friend and I might buy it from her. The problem is this jetski has been sitting for the past two years. I put a new battery in it and the motor would turn over about three times then stop. After a minute or so the motor would roll over the same way. I took the spark plugs out to check for much dreaded water. It shot oil out of the spark plugs.

I plan on rolling the motor over with a towel on top to soak up all the oil. Is there anything else I need to check?

lebanon tn.
    If you have it out pull the intakes and reeds and make sure the bottom end isnt full of oil too. I would also put all new oil lines on before running it. This should help with what you need.

Thanks for the info on the oil lines. Is the oil pump reliable? I think a friend of mine had an Ultra 150 blow up because of oil pump problems.

lebanon tn.
    The oil pump is reliable but the lines are known to crack and kill the motor. Thats why I suggested to replace them while you are in there. I have never hear of an oil pump failing on an ultra/stxr but I have heard of alot cracking lines.

Make sure you ground the spark plug wires when cranking with the plugs out. Failure to do this can result in frying the ignition box.

yup. Check the lines after your rides too, usually they will leak a little oil before cracking completely and costing you a cylinder.... I keep them clean, and then use a white rag to help inspect them..

Thanks. The lady that owns it took it to the stealership.

Thread Information