+1

Crazy Idea I thought I'd never share

With the advent of turbos, superchargers and nitrous systems on skis, it seems we are destined to always push the envelope in the pursuit of speed. My ski is only one of the several hobbies I have interest in, but all of my hobbies include an engine of some form or another. So I was tinkering with my radio controlled 1/8 scale on road car the other day when it ran out of fuel. I went to go fill it but noticed I was out of glow fuel. I then dragged out my 5 gallon jug of methanol, one gallon can of nitromethane (thanks klotz) my mixing cups and my Klotz oil. I began to mix up the usual 30% nitro 12% oil blend that I use. You see, I mix my own fuel for these cars, they are 3.5cc 2 strokes that produce about 4hp. As I was mixing, I found myself staring at my ski and my mind started wondering. Being that the ski is just a multi cylinder 2 stroke, and guys are already running methanol as the enrichment fuel in their nitrous setups, what if we really threw caution to the wind and blended up a tuner friendly 5% nitro blend and went to town? I mean think about it. I can't think of any reason it couldn't be done. I can't believe I actually am sharing this because you all are going to think I'm crazy but...think of the power output. Maybe for a drag ski? Hopefully someone like RUNWME will chime in. If anyone has the nuts to try it he does!!

+1
    After I posted I did a search on nitromethane. Seems as though Rossnemo has had the same thoughts back in 2006! Thats me, a day late and a buck short. Can anyone shed any light or have any ideas on what it would take to convert a ski to run on methanol? If I remember correctly, I think you need about twice the alcohol than you do gasoline to remain stoiciometric. Forget the nitro for a minute, does anyone see a problem with getting a ski to run on methanol?? Someone needs to do this.

+1
    Problems?

Water absorption
    The need for all new plumbing
    The corrosiveness of it
    The engine running too cool (yes, too cool)
    Running out of fuel in a short time
    Carbs not designed to use it (flow and corrosion)

Just a few for you

FYI, Nitro like to be under a load.

Alcohol requires approx 210 percent of original gas fuel mixture.. It does absorb water, so there is minor maintenence there. Keep your fuel in a sealed container and your fine.
    4 strokes would be very simple to convert, i also cant believe nobody has done it yet to these super/turbo motors. I ran a Rons Flying Tiolet (Google it) on my BBC drag car and it cut off 6 tenths in the quarter. All manual alcohol injection with simple barrel valve and crank driven fuel pump squirting nozzles with pills in them to adjust mixture.
    It can make them hard to start, we would prime with gas for the initial fire up on a cold engine.
    Deto gone no matter how much boost or compression.. Alcohol acts as an intercooler also..
    It would only be practical for a race only setup, mileage would fall in half. Oil gets ugly quicker also.
    To hell with all the negatives, they are miniscule if you want big power.
    The big positive is 30 percent more power, and making your competitions eyes water as you pass them..
    Turns a stock 255 rxp into 330 hp..
    Bigger fuel pump, Barry Grant makes some nice ones. Install 1/2 inch fuel supply lines. Piggy back a second set of injectors to add fuel on custom fuel rail. Then fine tune your fuel mixture. A few other small details but thats pretty much it.
    Maybe i need to buy that FZR... Motec on alcohol... Hmmmmm..

It would take way to much fuel. It would probably have to be injected to insure enough fuel got to the cylinders. And you would be sitting on a small bomb when,,, not if,,,it went boom... Side note: A couple of weeks ago i was watching speed channel and they were inducting a guy (can't remeber his name) into the NHRA Hall of Fame.. Big daddy Don Garlits said he owed this guy for his success in drag racing. Seems this guy manufactured a fuel pump... Big Daddy said they realized the pump had a reduction in it... Garlits said they removed the reduction and drove on a 1:1 drive to increase fuel flow...Thats how much more fuel you need...

Quote Originally Posted by wavedude View Post
    It would take way to much fuel. It would probably have to be injected to insure enough fuel got to the cylinders. And you would be sitting on a small bomb when,,, not if,,,it went boom... Side note: A couple of weeks ago i was watching speed channel and they were inducting a guy (can't remeber his name) into the NHRA Hall of Fame.. Big daddy Don Garlits said he owed this guy for his success in drag racing. Seems this guy manufactured a fuel pump... Big Daddy said they realized the pump had a reduction in it... Garlits said they removed the reduction and drove on a 1:1 drive to increase fuel flow...Thats how much more fuel you need...
    Alcohol is much less flammable than gasoline, and much safer. Your sitting on a bomb statement couldnt be more wrong.

+1
    Ross,
    I know you work with the throtte bodies all the time, is it feasable to make a fuel rail with two injectors per cyl? How would they be fired? If wired in parallel, won't the load increase? 14ohms to about 7ohms? (I think our injectors are 14ohm although I never checked) Wouldn't it be easier to just different injectors that flow double the fuel? How many lbs per hour does a stock 1300R injector flow?

Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    Ross,
    I know you work with the throtte bodies all the time, is it feasable to make a fuel rail with two injectors per cyl? How would they be fired? If wired in parallel, won't the load increase? 14ohms to about 7ohms? (I think our injectors are 14ohm although I never checked) Wouldn't it be easier to just different injectors that flow double the fuel? How many lbs per hour does a stock 1300R injector flow?
    The problem with alcohol in a 2 stroke is engine longevity... Alcohol is very dry, no lubricant properties at all.. Would be pretty hard on crankshaft bearings long term.
    Stock injectors are 60 pounders, very large, so adding a secondary injector per cylinder would be necessary.
    Im not sure what would actually work on a 2 stroke setup... Would be fun to experiment with though.

ah, the fying toilet, "the big dumper" geez I remember that one

Thread Information