Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Troube re-starting ski 787 motor

I have a 96 gtx. Just replaced all the fuel lines, and rebuilt the carbs using the stock jets and popoff. When first starting the ski will start right up, and run like a champ. After about 1/2 hr ride, if I shut off the ski, it will take about 10 mins to start. I must hold the throttle wide open for about 15 seconds after it finally starts while it boggs and clears out, then it runs fine till I shut it off again.

Just brought it home and pulled a plug, it does look wet. Could I be fouling plugs? The only other thing I noticed was the rave valves are leaking black oil. When I take off the cap, the orange diaphram is half on. I put it back on, start it up. and the diaphram is off again? What's going on here? Could this affect the starting issues?

Quote Originally Posted by bryan428 View Post
    I have a 96 gtx. Just replaced all the fuel lines, and rebuilt the carbs using the stock jets and popoff. When first starting the ski will start right up, and run like a champ. After about 1/2 hr ride, if I shut off the ski, it will take about 10 mins to start. I must hold the throttle wide open for about 15 seconds after it finally starts while it boggs and clears out, then it runs fine till I shut it off again.

Just brought it home and pulled a plug, it does look wet. Could I be fouling plugs? The only other thing I noticed was the rave valves are leaking black oil. When I take off the cap, the orange diaphram is half on. I put it back on, start it up. and the diaphram is off again? What's going on here? Could this affect the starting issues?
    Did you change out the needle and seat? Use a mirror to make sure that its not leaking if you did

No I didn't change the needle and seat. Look to see if it's leaking where? the regulator chamber?

just in the throat of the carb when the machine isnt having throttle applied to it. you'll see drips forming a pool if its leaky... The service manual explains in more detail

I didn't see it in the manual. Would this cause problems starting the ski? The lower porecelin on the plugs looks chocolate brown, just the tips are wet, prolly from trying to restart. So maybe the plugs aren't fouling. Any ideas?

I didn't see it in the manual. Would this cause problems starting the ski? The lower porecelin on the plugs looks chocolate brown, just the tips are wet, prolly from trying to restart. So maybe the plugs aren't fouling. Any ideas?
    well if your seats are leaking, and you are putting too much fuel into the motor because of it, of course its going to be hard to start under a rich condition.

So if I take off the flame arrestor, and look down the throat of the carb I should see some puddling of fuel on the throttle plate?

So if I take off the flame arrestor, and look down the throat of the carb I should see some puddling of fuel on the throttle plate?
    If your needle & seat is leaking, yes

I know the best test would prolly be out on the lake after a long ride, but I didn't have the time. So, I took the plug wires off, cranked the ski over for about 5 second. Looked down the carb throat with a mirror, and out of a tiny hole closest to the engine, fuel was slowly dripping out for about 10 seconds after I was done cranking, and puddling on the throttle plate. I take it this means my needle and seat are leaking? OR during cranking operations is that the normal amount of gas in order to start the engine suppose to be dripping in.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    I know the best test would prolly be out on the lake after a long ride, but I didn't have the time. So, I took the plug wires off, cranked the ski over for about 5 second. Looked down the carb throat with a mirror, and out of a tiny hole closest to the engine, fuel was slowly dripping out for about 10 seconds after I was done cranking, and puddling on the throttle plate. I take it this means my needle and seat are leaking? OR during cranking operations is that the normal amount of gas in order to start the engine suppose to be dripping in.
    One carb or both?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information