Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Virage TX no spark

Well launched the 1200 yesterday for 1st ride of the season.
    Boat is a 2001 with 58 original hours. Looks like brand new.
    never had a problem before. Always fogged and stored properly and serviced as per manual.
    I had her running on the hose just to clear the fogging oil. Everything seemed great. Launched it at the lake and it fired right up. I put my 13 year old daugter on and told her to idle it up to the cottage while I drove the truck and trailer back. It would be about 1 km by water and she got about 3/4 of the way and it quit. She was only idling and had not touched the throttle. After I retreived her and and the PWC I started to try to figure out why it quit. Figured it loaded up with fuel and shut down. Well turns out there is no spark. Reset button was not triggered. Opened up elect. box and everything is dry and no sign of rust or bad connections.I am not sure how to go about even checking from here. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Are CDIs or coils common to go on these boats? I certainly hope it is not the stator although cant imagine why it would go.

Thanks
    Alan

+1
    Ckeck the battery volts with a meter while cranking.
    Let us know what you find.

Also,is this carb or fuel injected?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

If I had to guess, I would start with checking the electrical grounds. Remove and clean both ends of the battery negative cable.

Then check that the black wires inside the electrical box are really grounded - should measure zero ohms from any black wire to the engine block, and zero ohms to the battery negative post.

After that, start working through the no-spark section of the service manual.

The CDI (if this is a carburetor engine) must have over 10.5 volts while the engine is cranking. Otherwise you will not have spark.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Ckeck the battery volts with a meter while cranking.
    Let us know what you find.

Also,is this carb or fuel injected?
    Carb model
    I did drain the battery down while trying to start it over & over.
    Low battery warning was flashing on diplay. 10 something vollts was reading.
    The thing I dont understand is why would it quit suddenly when running? The battey started it fine and then it quit dead.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyAl View Post
    ...why would it quit suddenly when running?

The battery started it fine and then it quit dead.
    That is why I suggested you check the electrical grounds. Corrosion plus engine vibration can cause problems to appear at any time.

Get the battery charged, and check the voltage while cranking. If the battery still cannot deliver well over 10.5 volts while cranking, get a new battery.

If the battery is weak, you can chase your tail trying to fix whatever else is wrong, since it won't spark with a weak battery, even if you do fix something.

+1
    It's a good possibility the battery had just enough to fire the craft and without the warm up time the engihne stalled. You then took the battery below starting voltage and of course no spark.
    I'd definately try starting it with a jumper box or a known good battery with AT LEAST 11.5 cranking voltage at the battery.

Good Luck and WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums.

Yes I was thinking the same thing. I will charge the battery up good and try again. If the base is loaded up with fuel how is the best way to drain it? Is there a drain plug that is easy to get at or is it as simple as pulling the pulse lines?

the base ? the case you mean ?

well if you have tons of fuel possiblely fogging oil you will need to remove one of the plugs at the bottom of the case its below the pulse line fittings , if you undid the pulse line the fitting is kinda high or in the center of the case wouldnt drain out much , the 2 plugs are at the lowest part on the case , one in the front and rear .

its kinda a pita to undo your carbs and intake manifold but i never worked or seen a virage hull so im not sure how much room you got you might not need to take the intake manifold or reeds off , but be sure to use sum lock tight or silcone when you reinstall those bad boys ,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyAl View Post
    ... If the base is loaded up with fuel how is the best way to drain it?

Is there a drain plug that is easy to get at or is it as simple as pulling the pulse lines?
    There are drain plugs down low on the exhaust side of the engine, one per cylinder. They can be hard to get at, depending on how the exhaust is configured.

The easiest way, if you suspect you have liquid in the crack case (oil, gas, or water) is to take the spark plugs out, and crank it with a healthy battery. Lay cloth over the plug holes to reduce the mess.

Ok here is the update..
    Charged battery and reading 11.5 v when cranking.
    No spark. Even tried during dusk. Not a flicker.
    Checked stator connections as per manual. The red wire is supposed to read 0 resistance although I got a very high reading in the M ohms. Everything else checked out ok. The manual states some meters may get very high readings. Plug wires and coil seem to be reading ok.
    No way to check CDI? All wires and connections look like factory. No corrosion or obvious broken wires. Any suggestions would be greatly appeciated.

Thanks
    Alan

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information