Oil flooding cylinders on sl750

Hi Guys,

I just bought a 1994 polaris sl750.I am having a hard time starting it and have noticed a awful lot of oil in the cylinders. Its shorting out the spark plugs so they wont fire. Has anyone had this happen to them and is there a simple fix to the extra rich oil injection.

Thanks,

Rabbit

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

If there is excess oil accumulated in the crankcase, take the plugs out, and crank it with a cloth over the plug holes. It should blow most of the excess oil out.

Don't crank it continuously for too long, or you risk burning out the starter motor. Crank it for maybe 15 seconds or so, then let it cool for a minute. Then crank it again.

After a doing this few times, put a battery charger on it to rebuild the battery charge level.

Once it is no longer spewing oil mist out the spark plug holes, dry off the spark plugs, and put them back in. Make sure the battery has had a chance to recharge.

Hopefully the engine will now be able to start up and run. It will smoke a lot as it burns off the remaining excess oil. You can run it without water cooling for 10-20 seconds maximum. Shut it down, wait a few minutes, then start it again.

If it starts reasonably quickly, you can next try running it on the water, or use a garden hose connection for engine cooling while runnign it on the trailer. Maximum run time on the garden hose is two minutes, and is is better for the jet pump bearings if you keep it to one minute.

When it has stopped smoking, you will probably want to install fresh spark plugs to ensure best engine performance.

Do you know why there is excess oil in the engine?
    Did the previous owner put the oil in there?

Maybe that arm that controls the oil flow has been disconnected or fallen off??

Thanks Guys

I did try to dry it out that way, may have to crank it more.I did look with a mirror to see if the pump lever was actuating and it looked like it was moving.Could it have something to do with the air bleed screw ?

Thanks,

Rabbit

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grated Rabbit View Post
    I did try to dry it out that way, may have to crank it more.I did look with a mirror to see if the pump lever was actuating and it looked like it was moving.Could it have something to do with the air bleed screw ?

Thanks,

Rabbit
    My guess is that the previous owner dumped excess oil into the crankcase as method of winterizing.

If your engine has a variable flow rate oil pump, make sure the oil pump arm has not flipped around to the 'wrong' side.

When the oil pump arm linkage is disconnected from the throttle, a spring moves the oil pump arm way past the normal idle position. If it is not swung back to where it should be before it is reconnected to the throttle, the oil pump will always pump oil at the 100% flow rate.

However, even at 100% oil flow rate, it should not overload or flood the engine with oil. It will run with more smoke at low speeds, and tend to foul the plugs more, but that's about it.

The early model Fuji Polaris engines had a constant rate oil pump, and those engines ran just fine. Just a little smokey

IS there a easy way?

Is there a easy way to check the position of that lever or is it best to remove the carbs and manifold from the block.?Also if the check valves were stuck could this cause oil flooding like that ?

Rabbit

Thread Information