Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1997 xp get hydrolocked easy

I have a 1997xp with a 787 engine. It Hydrolocks really easy. If I fall off and dont get on with in the first to tries it done. I dont roll over the machine either. If I just rock to much side to side when I am getting on it will be full of water. I am stumped. I have a 1996xp and the only time I hydro lock that machine is if I roll it over the wrong way. It does not matter how many times I rock it side to side. Please give me some tips.

Thats not hydrolock thats just filling it up with water,
    It could be your hatch seal or water getting in the front vents, you can get plugs for the large holes at the front and then you open up the ones either side of the fuel filler using the left over seals and tubes, thats the main reason 97/98/99 xp's fill up very easily. 2000 and up they changed that

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    I thought "hydro" is water and if it's in the cylinders the pistons won't compress it so your engine would be "locked" until you take the plugs out and wear your battery down getting the water out. HMMMM it's funny that in 98 they put a bilge pump in the rear by the battery...

This is the ###1 reason i got rid of my 97xp, and got a 96xp which is 10 times better. I was so sick of the water issue i used to put zip loc bags around the 2 towers to help keep out the water, this is just from wave jumping and also they stress crack real easy in the foot wells on each side since they are so nose heavy. Trying doing a 180' knife stab with one of those boats lol...

Im curious what did they do to improve the water issue in 2000? SHit if they where having issues with water in a 800 setup i can only imagine the 951 which hates having water in it>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by seadoobutch787 View Post
    I thought "hydro" is water and if it's in the cylinders the pistons won't compress it so your engine would be "locked" until you take the plugs out and wear your battery down getting the water out. HMMMM it's funny that in 98 they put a bilge pump in the rear by the battery...

This is the ###1 reason i got rid of my 97xp, and got a 96xp which is 10 times better. I was so sick of the water issue i used to put zip loc bags around the 2 towers to help keep out the water, this is just from wave jumping and also they stress crack real easy in the foot wells on each side since they are so nose heavy. Trying doing a 180' knife stab with one of those boats lol...

Im curious what did they do to improve the water issue in 2000? SHit if they where having issues with water in a 800 setup i can only imagine the 951 which hates having water in it>>>>
    Wow, so you wouldn't recommend going from a 96xp to a 2000 then huh? Thats what I was possibly thinking about doing when I get my next ski.

I own both models, nothing wrong with them at all. I have had no water intrusion issues with my '00. I did have some with the '97 until I blocked off the front holes and put a new seal where the tray is.

1997 xp

I have checked the hull and I have not had more the 4inches in the hull when it has hydro locked. Most of the time there is less than an inch. To me it seem like the water runs back from the exhaust into the engine. Does seadoo have a rubber flapper in the exhaust some were. Kinda like an inboard boat motor.

do you have to pull the plugs and get the water out every time, you could have corrosion in the pipe or a blown exhaust gaskets, exhaust pressure keeps water out until it stops, then might dribble back in.
    by your first post it sounded like you were describing water intrusion into the hull

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by DooMeister View Post
    Wow, so you wouldn't recommend going from a 96xp to a 2000 then huh? Thats what I was possibly thinking about doing when I get my next ski.
    Don't let him scare you! All you have to doo is replace the weak factory weatherstripping underneath the white tray (from a local HVAC Supply House) with 1/2" wide Armaflex Tape. The hull will be completely dry even when getting serious air in the surf.

This should be done on all hyperbolic hulls.

+1
    jokey,
    I'm pretty sure there was some type of recall on the air-intake pipe for the carbs specifically for the 1997 785. PLUS, I think there was some type of problem with the 97, in which the hood would warp, causing major water issues inside the hull.

I can't remember the details.

+1
    No hood warping and the recall if thats what you call it was on the 98xpl a new style flame arrestor was issiued.

The problem is your turning it back over wrong and the water will flow up the pipe into the engine, simply turn it back over the 'other' way counter clockwise.

TLR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information