Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DESS post

+1

DESS post

anyone ever have a tempermental DESS post? ive had the infamous starting issues for some time now. but did tests to rule out the most common one; starter relay, which checked out good. FYI used my pops to prove it wasnt the culprit. Then used his battery in replace of mine. Yada yada yada, anywho, we ripped apart the steering column to get to the back of the post. Why? Well cause the darn thing sometimes starts just like she purred the first day i got her. Then other times NOTHING! Just feel like its gonna be this bugger and wanted to know if Im a lone wolf in this... thanks for yallz help, input, advice, sarcasm, what ever floats your boat as Whammer would say

Doo'n it on the Lake ... GTXDawg's Avatar
    ... check fuses - I had a badly corroded contact on one that caused me fits until I found/replaced it!

How did you check your dess post? Also did you swap starter relays and nothing happened?

Sounds to me to be the starter relay or wiring related to it.
    Does the DESS beep regularly when wired up and screen light up after the Dess is placed?

I had a problem with the ski beeping as if the post was on. Even when there was no DESS on post. I tested the old DESS with the new DESS and all resistances were the same. The old one was still the problem.

This however does no sound like the DESS, more like the starter relay or wiring.

+1
    yes I checked fuses. was the very first thing I did. all were good.

I checked the starter relay by switching it with my pops which is on the same ski as mine, 07 rxp sc. had same exact irregularity with the gauge not lighting up and fuel not being primed nor starting all together. it would work then wouldn't work. just completely inconsistent. I also swapped batteries and had same problem. the 3 negative contacts on the engine block are all clean. got ticked off with all this and decided to check DESS post thinking wire might be rusted or lose. so tore apart handle bar. the wires in the post are set in with melted rubber or whatever so couldn't get inside. though it seemed we got better contact when we would twist the post and move the wires around. im feeling I've got a messed up wire somewhere. help help help

+1
    guys im gonna be a begger now. ask your questions if you have ideas for me. I need to figure out why im having this intermittent starting. been wanting to go out tomorrow but not looking like it. I've traded batteries and starter relays from my pops ski that does start. could the dess post actually fail? I just don't have a clue. absolutely no reason for this. but im begging for your help before I go nuts

Doo'n it on the Lake ... GTXDawg's Avatar
    ... here are the 2 main fuses I'm referring to - they are to the left of the MPEM and the fuses are actually inside the connectors at the end of the wires - you can't see them until you disconnect the connectors.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59062

... this issue ruined my Memorial weekend riding plans last year & was a pain in the a$$ to troubleshoot.

... it may not be your issue but def worth a look to cross off the list of what isn't wrong - and if you've already checked these sorry for the post.

Good luck man!

+1

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by GTXDawg View Post
    ... here are the 2 main fuses I'm referring to - they are to the left of the MPEM and the fuses are actually inside the connectors at the end of the wires - you can't see them until you disconnect the connectors.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59062

... this issue ruined my Memorial weekend riding plans last year & was a pain in the a$$ to troubleshoot.

... it may not be your issue but def worth a look to cross off the list of what isn't wrong - and if you've already checked these sorry for the post.

Good luck man!

hmmm i wasnt able to find these fuses. ive disconnected every connector ive been able to find to hopefully come up with something. ive checked my fuses so many times and theyre all so pretty. havent been messing with the boat now since my last post; just went out to mess with it some more and she started just fine. un plugged the lanyard plugged it back in and all was normal. got the 2 beeps and all. un plugged again and re plugged it back and nothing. tried it again and the fuel began to prime but then it stopped and no beep. tried it once more then nothing. and nothing and nothing again. plugged it in once more then squeezed the rubber part that goes over the dess post and i got the fuel to prime and then 2 beeps. as soon as i let go and tried to start it i got nothing. squeezed it again and got the prime once more. pushed the start button with my other hand and it started fine. then shut it off and un plugged to trie it again and got nothing. now even squeezing it gives me no responce. tried it some more then gave up after i threw my lanyard in the yard. this is so dissapointing. both my keys get same response, so unfortunately i cant blame it on the keys. even tried my pops keys before to try and get responses and i get the same irregularity with mine. is there any way at all to bypass the dess post? guess its kinda like hot wiring it. ive got an extra switch id love to hook in and use it instead of the key for now at least. i wanna ride tomorrow damnit!!!! ugh. more help please.

I can tell you how the dess works and if you have a meter you can check it. on the back of the post is 3 wires. black, black/yellow, and white with some stripe on it. when you put the key over the post, the magnet it the key will trip a magnetic switch in the post. thats what wakes up the mpem. you will have continuity between the black and black/yellow wire. than the center post on the dess will read the code off of your key (white wire). it does sound like you have a bad post. another way to test is to use a jumper and tap the black wire to black/yellow. it should wake up the mpem and trigger fuel pump. than it will beep once because it hasn't read the correct key code. now if you jump the wires and plug the key on within 2 seconds, it should beep twice and allow you to start the ski. if you really want to ride , you can jump those wires and plug the key on but the bad part is the ski will not shut off if you pull the key. hope this helps
    Mike

just fyi, the dess post can go bad. you can jump and bypass the dess post, but the only part is if you fall off your ski, it will not shut off . i was in a similar quandry with dess post not working. ski used to beep all the time, even with the key off. something in the post was causing continuity. i bit the bullet and changed the post. wierd thing was even when i changed the post, the resistances and continutity was the same as the new one. if you bypass the post and it starts without the key then you know its the post that's bad.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seadoo1120 View Post
    I can tell you how the dess works and if you have a meter you can check it. on the back of the post is 3 wires. black, black/yellow, and white with some stripe on it. when you put the key over the post, the magnet it the key will trip a magnetic switch in the post. thats what wakes up the mpem. you will have continuity between the black and black/yellow wire. than the center post on the dess will read the code off of your key (white wire). it does sound like you have a bad post. another way to test is to use a jumper and tap the black wire to black/yellow. it should wake up the mpem and trigger fuel pump. than it will beep once because it hasn't read the correct key code. now if you jump the wires and plug the key on within 2 seconds, it should beep twice and allow you to start the ski. if you really want to ride , you can jump those wires and plug the key on but the bad part is the ski will not shut off if you pull the key. hope this helps
    Mike
    wow man thats the greatest news ive heard all day about this. now the thing is though, the post i have has 4 wires on it. white with grey stripe, black, black with purple, and black with yellow. so i dont piss off neighbors i will definately be working on your info tomorrow. and if with your help i get that sucker to work and work every time then i might get a ride in now on the bypass, safety being #1, im sure theres a way to cut power?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information