Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Should I fix the scratches on my hull?

I have a kawi 12f and on the very very bottom of my hull are some very long scratches that almost look like dirt or fading of the hull. Most likely this was from somebody running over sand. The scratches are not that deep and I was thinking of wet sanding and gelcoating the bottom to fix the scratches, but now I am hearing about how some people blueprint their hulls by lightly scuffing it with sandpaper and this is supposed to give more speed because the hull gets better grip. I would like ot know what everybody thinks. If I should just fix it, would wet sanding and regelcoating be the way to go, or do I leave it the way it is.

Nobody has any opinion on this?

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    I know a boat builder and the boats they race have a lightly sanded bottom for speed. He told me to use 100 grit on the bottom and leave it. That breaks the surface tension of the hull/ water. Not for better grip.
    They also have one boat with some sort of graphite paint on the bottom, but still has a rather rough sanded finish.

I've heard of people using surfboard wax on their hulls. Anybody ever tried this?

had a boat some years back that had a graphite coating on the hull....did it make a difference? hell i don't know.... but it sounded cool... my personal opinion if there is no threat of Delamination....leave it alone....but if it bothers you that bad get a gel coat repair kit and fix it...
    TEX-X

Whats delamination is that like where the fiberglass wears away.

first you have to understand what composite materials consist of..the hull is just thin sheets of fiberglass all soaked and glued together with resin.resin is kinda like glue..that is why it is so lightweight yet very strong...a delamination is when you have a seperation of the bonded sheets.... it can either be a visible delam...where you can see it....or an internal delamination....you don't really see a whole lot of internal delams on skis..but i do see quite a few internal delams on airplanes..but the only way to find an internal delam is with the acoustic coin tap method....take a 50 cent piece....and tap on the fiberglass....listen for a change in sound and an audible thud...the only way to fix it is either an area overhaul....or resin injection into the void....i'm possbly giving you a little to much info....if the hull looks likes its coming off in sheets....repair...if it's just a scratch...don't worry about it...

here's a pic of visible delamination
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	serv22.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	141652  

No the fiberglass is fine I think its just the outer gelcoat. Im gonna try and wet sand it since the scratches aren't that deep.

can you feel the scratch when you drag your fingernail across it? if you can't...wet sand it...and buff it to a shine....if you can feel it get a gel coat repair kit...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information