Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1

92 ss 750 help!!

I have a 92 ss. Runs great 3/4 of the day, then starts cutting out @ wot.
    Doesn't stop all the way.
    1. Gas was last years (Nov.) with Sta-bil. Should be okay.
    2. Plugs are not new. Start here?
    3. What are the pick up tubes in the tank like on this ski? Any one know? If not a usual issue dont want to waste my time.
    4. What are the carb settings on this ski?
    5. Fuel filter is new. Also, seperator is in use.
    6. Any fuel selector switch issues on these? (air)
    Ski is bone stock. I am also interested in an intake grate and an impeller if any one has one.
    Thanks guys, Rod.

+1
    Thanks for all the support. Is the Kawa section lame or?

Pull the fuel pickup assembly out of the tank and check it out. I had a similar problem with mine last year but it would die after about 20 minutes. When I pulled the pickup this year before I put it in the water, I found both pickup filters more or less dissolved, both feed pipes cracked from top to bottom, and a ton of corrosion on the side that faces the fuel. There was so much corrosion that it was blocking both the vent and return lines completely. I cleaned it all up, made up new pickup tubes by cutting the stockers down to about 3/4" and making a "coupler" out of fuel hose then using a length of stainless to make a new set of pickup tubes. I also put an inline filter in (which it seems you have already done) and so far its been running great.

John

+1
    I found both pickup filters more or less dissolved, both feed pipes cracked from top to bottom, and a ton of corrosion on the side that faces the fuel. There was so much corrosion that it was blocking both the vent and return lines completely

I second this. Mine was the same way

+1
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Funny thing: Before I read this I pulled fuel pick-ups out of the tank. The vent and return were plugged up. The tubes were ok. No filters at the bottom. Supposed to have them? Any ways, I cleaned these tubes out and put a new filter in and walla. Runs great all day. I do think I need to empty the tank and look around in there though. My guess is its fulla junk.
    I did get an R&D intake grate from John Zigler for this ski. Will let you know how that goes. Fun little ski to ride.
    Has anyone got an aftermarket impeller for this yet?
    Good to see you posting Sean. Hope your having a good summer. Lotsa riding here!
    Thanks again guys, Rod.

Glad to hear its serving you well now. My tank probably has a bunch of crap in it too but I don't want to pull the engine to get it out. I have an Ocean Pro ride plate on mine, it made a big difference, the ski is a pleasure to ride in a light chop instead of a chore. I'd love to to an intake and impeller. If it gets me through this season without incident maybe I'll give it some treats like that.

John

+1
    John,

Fill the tank with a gallon or so of gas and 4 oz of acetone. Drive around the block a few times and bounce the gas around a bit. tilt the nose of the ski as high up or down as you can. use a large diameter clear hose to drain the tank into external fuel jugs. get as much fuel as you can out of the tank using the tube at the deepest point of the tank. this will pull most of the crap out

The acetone will dissolve a lot of the crap and bring it into solution. Large chunks will come out in the hose.

after settling, decant the clean gas out of the cans into another can. Use this, mixed with more gas, in your old car or lawn mower (acetone will raise the perceived octane rating, and clean the fuel system)

Strain the rest of the large chucks out of the remaining gas, and recycle ( pour in the tank of the jackwad neighbor up the street :P ) the last bit of gas that you don't want to use in your lawnmower.

Worked great on mine,

+1
    Heya Sean & John.
    It looks like theres enough room to take the tank loose and bring top hole to front storage hood if anything needs to be fished out.
    I'm going to wait though. It ran perfect all day last time out. Will clean tank this winter.

Some questions:
    1. Any one use an after market impeller on this ski yet?
    2. It looks like the space between my intake grate and ride plate is not filled with silicone. I've heard this can cause a bit of cavitation. Your experience?
    3. I'm posting a pic of the ride plate I have on it. Its an R&D speed plate. What does this look like as opposed to your Ocean Pro John?
    4. I will put the R&D intake grate on next week. Going to the lake the following week. Will let you guys know how it does.
    5. And most important: YOU GUYS DOING MUCH RIDING?? I love summer. I will get out at least 20X this summer!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2308.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	390.2 KB 
ID:	144853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2309.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	412.2 KB 
ID:	144854  

seaobin, thanks for the advice. I'll try that after we use the ski on vacation.

rlovebk, I was mistaken, mine is a "Jet Dynamics". Here's a pic:

I'm looking forward to hearing how that intake works for you so I can make a decision as to weather I should spend the money on it or not. I haven't sealed the space between my plate and grate and I haven't noticed any cavitation. It didn't have anything there from the factory. If someone knows for sure I'd like to know if its worth climbing under there and sealing it and if I can just use regular clear fish tank silicone since I have some sitting here.

John

I stumbled across an R&D intake and plate combo on ebay for $90 shipped so I bought it.

John

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information