Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

OPAS (to keep it or not?)

2008 RXT-X
    The riding conditions are very flat in the morning and a bit choppy from 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.(when the boats curn the lake). The ski stays at 70mph on nice flat water but does feel hesitant when yanking the bars at 70mph, it takes a quarter second or so to respond. I feel the ski can respond quicker but don't know how to go about it. I mostly ride in the afternoon (choppy) and would like to feel the g's on a nice hard turn but dont want to loose the stability. Would I be better off keeping the OPAS or removing it? Or are there other suggestions to get the ride where I want it?

Thanks for any and all help.

Thats a good ? i have been wanting to know this myself for awhile i hope this gets alot of reply's

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXT-X View Post
    2008 RXT-X
    The riding conditions are very flat in the morning and a bit choppy from 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.(when the boats curn the lake). The ski stays at 70mph on nice flat water but does feel hesitant when yanking the bars at 70mph, it takes a quarter second or so to respond. I feel the ski can respond quicker but don't know how to go about it. I mostly ride in the afternoon (choppy) and would like to feel the g's on a nice hard turn but dont want to loose the stability. Would I be better off keeping the OPAS or removing it? Or are there other suggestions to get the ride where I want it?

Thanks for any and all help.
    OPAS or training wheels was designed for inexperienced jet skiers who almost inadverdantly let off the gas to slow down, and then they find that they can't steer. Well the OPAS allows them to steer a little more even though they are off the throttle, hince OFF POWER ASSISTED STEERING terminology. As far as handling, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much better the ski handles without it.I have an 06 RXP and I took OPAS off the first week, and never looked back! It handled better and my top end increased, so why not remove the "Training Wheels", as referred to by the Green Hulk himself.

So it doesn't effect stability?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXT-X View Post
    So it doesn't effect stability? If so they are coming off.

You may experiance porpousing at higher speeds with them on..Its a matter of preferance..Some like them on,some like them off..If you do alot of straight line top end running, then i would say take them off.If you do alot of twisty,turning type of ridin then i would leave them alone..

+1
    I have taken them off all my RXP's and RXTX, I feel the handleing is more predictable, and when jumping wakes or swells with them off it doesnt want to push the rear around if your bars are not perfectly straight.

+1
    I have the opas competition kit of riva on my rxt-x.it raises the paddles.

Very cheap,and works fine.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=738

Nice alternative for the more expensive blockoff's.

Works only on a rxt models.

+1
    I like my OPAS, so I leave them on. I don't see how they could possibly affect top end since they are recessed when the handle bar is straight. Also, the ski cuts harder with the OPAS. My stockish ski (w/OPAS and stock sponsons) cuts harder than my modified ski (w/o OPAS and with Riva sponsons). I thought a racer recommended to leave them on a while back because they help corner harder?

i hated mine they were ugly as hell and never seemed to be lined up properly! removing them will give you a slight speed gain (very little)
    i personaly chose the riva hull extensions (pricy but dead sexy) and i hated my opas mainly because i kept getting weeds and the ski rope caught around them

Thanks for all the replies. I think Snoman hit it. I do both riding styles and think I am going to lean towards doing the competition mod and see how that feels first.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information