+1

1996 SL900 giving us some trouble

Okay lets try and figure this out:

1996 SL900...quit running eight or nine years ago because of water in oil tank. We have new oversized pistons and the cylinders have been bored. We also put in new wrist pin bearings.

Carbs have been gone through, cleaned and check out.
    Engine was kept lubricated and well taken care of during the years it wasnt in operation. New Fuel lines also.

Engine has been leak tested. Idle's great, starts right up.

Here is the problem. It doesnt seem to want to go once we get to about 4000 RPM. Basically sputters and surges around 3800 to 4500. Now, the first thing I thought was RPM limiter. But we have disconnected it and the same problem persists...(We just disconnect tan wires in box correct?)

Now we are starting to wonder if we have a CDI or a stator problem? We did not test the stator when we rebuilt it, but it was nearly brand new before the engine failed years ago.

Sparks plugs indicate all cylinders appear to be firing, this doesnt seem to be isolated to one cylinder. It also seems to be a very systematic and consistent problem.

Thoughts and Suggestions appreciated!

+1
    Is there a grey wire coming from the CDI and plugged into terminal for tan wires???

Can't remember exactly what color wires are in the '96. On more previous models, it's grey wire that you unplug.

If the fuel sender, oil sender, and temp sensors test fine, and you know your fuel delivery is top notch, you might just wanna throw in an electrical update kit.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by absentx View Post
    ...It doesnt seem to want to go once we get to about 4000 RPM. Basically sputters and surges around 3800 to 4500.

Now, the first thing I thought was RPM limiter. But we have disconnected it and the same problem persists...(We just disconnect tan wires in box correct?)

Now we are starting to wonder if we have a CDI or a stator problem? We did not test the stator when we rebuilt it, but it was nearly brand new before the engine failed years ago...
    Do you have two LR modules in the electrical box, one being an LR-54?
    If yes, disconnect the gray wires between LR-54 and CDI.

On models with an LR-54, the Tan (overheat) and Pink (low fuel) wires feed the LR-54, and then the gray wire from the LR-54 feeds the actual RPM Limiter signal to the CDI.

Your model may also RPM limit on low fuel. Is the low fuel or oil warning on?

If that doesn't help, you can work through the stator and related checks here;
    How do I test old and new domestic red engine CDI, Magneto and Ignition coils?

My ohm-meter measurements don't exactly agree with the service manual specifications. Is this OK?

+1
    We'll have this down at the get together to get to the bottom of the problem.

Pulling grey wires didnt help either

make sure the timing is correct. I had the same problem on my sl900 and found the 2 screws holding the timing plate to the flywheel in the bottom of the flywheel housing. I don't think the thing that the 2 screws holding to the flywheel is called a timing plate, but anyway, those screws not in place severely retarded my timing providing low rpms and no power.

Have a great time in Utica! Beautiful place, make sure to track down the authentic cajun restaurant down there!

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35339

+1
    yeah...that definitely could be the issue....I remember starring those two screws down before we put the flywheel back on.

"Now you two dont give us any trouble ya hear"

That rang through my head, but now i seriously wonder if they may have backed out. Definitely a possibility.

Almost went to the Cajun restaurant you speak of last time I was down that way but they close early, looks like an awesome place.

Thread Information