Dropping a cylinder

I have two 2003 STX-12F'S. I store them in heated storage all winter long. They only get used about 20 hours per year and currently have about 100 hours on them. Last week, taking them out for the first time this year (what can I say, I live in Michigan), one of them seemed to be dropping a cylinder. I ran a tank of fresh fuel through it and it seemed better, but still seems to be missing at idle. At full throttle it runs fine, but at idle and right at initial acceleration, it is missing. I put Stabil in the fuel when I store them, and I ran a tank of fresh fuel with Techron in it trying to clean the injectors (if that was the problem), but it still drops a cylinder at idle. Are plugs the next step?

yes, check the plugs. The same thing happened to me on my 250x. the spark plugs were fouled

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MOSTIN View Post
    I have two 2003 STX-12F'S. I store them in heated storage all winter long. They only get used about 20 hours per year and currently have about 100 hours on them. Last week, taking them out for the first time this year (what can I say, I live in Michigan), one of them seemed to be dropping a cylinder. I ran a tank of fresh fuel through it and it seemed better, but still seems to be missing at idle. At full throttle it runs fine, but at idle and right at initial acceleration, it is missing. I put Stabil in the fuel when I store them, and I ran a tank of fresh fuel with Techron in it trying to clean the injectors (if that was the problem), but it still drops a cylinder at idle. Are plugs the next step?
    after you start and run after winter storage and have filled with fresh fuel
    the first thing you should do is change plugs & oil anyways!

Plus spark plugs HATE all the additives in stabilizers etc.

Waz

Thread Information