Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Speed questions

Speed questions

As I am new to the forums and new to the PWC world. I humbly ask for assistance/answers.

I am running an 08 RXTX

I am sure that this gets asked every other day, I have been through the breakin period and at 12 hours added a R&D grate, and a 14/21.5 solas. I bought the prop from my service guy that races and he swore by this prop. I am willing to send it out to be checked/rebent if needed.

Prior to the additions, I was running 64.4 bone stock in slight chop, never saw 7900 rpms, funny how the speedo showed 68. After the mods, I have been up to 66.5 by gps at 8080 to 8140 rpms. I was sure that the ski would perform better.

I have just ordered the 4" intake from 4Tec and will have that on once I receive it.

The temps are hovering around 98-102 being in Texas that is just the way it is. I would love to see the 70's but am I dreaming?

The only thing that I have noticed with the new mods are a decrease in holeshot and slight top end increase, like I said, I thought for sure that would get 3-4 mph addition not just 2mph.

Thanks for the help, my wife keeps asking what I am going to do now since I have been reading as much as I can on this site since finding it.

Speed_rcr

Banned User
    Welcome to the forum.. Everything is a give and take on these ski's.. My best advice on making your ski faster is to read up on the weath of knowledge our members have shared over the last couple of years.. Lot's of tricks and even more tried and trued speed secrets.. Use the search feature, you'll find everything you need and if not feel free to post up your direct questions.

The 4" intake will help tremendously. Chances are you'll need to go a little taller than 21.5 once you get the intake in otherwise you'll be over the limiter.

Quote Originally Posted by paulthepwner View Post
    The 4" intake will help tremendously. Chances are you'll need to go a little taller than 21.5 once you get the intake in otherwise you'll be over the limiter.
    By taller you mean a like a 15/22 or taller yet?

I am still learning the impeller lingo. Boat propellers I understand the pitch, PWC not just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.. Everything is a give and take on these ski's.. My best advice on making your ski faster is to read up on the weath of knowledge our members have shared over the last couple of years.. Lot's of tricks and even more tried and trued speed secrets.. Use the search feature, you'll find everything you need and if not feel free to post up your direct questions.
    Thanks Alex,

There is tons of info on here, I didn't know where to start, and at 1:35 this morning obviously didn't know where to stop. My wife was laughing here arse off at me for reading all of this.

I just said faster.....

+1
    First welcome to the forum, a wealth of info can be found here. On Sunday my 08 RXTX with a Riva stg1 ran 70.6, 8040 rpms with a full tank of fuel, and me and my wife on board ( I am 220lbs, she's 120 ). Now the bad news. Sometime during our ride, my pump tunnel cracked and we started to take on water. If you dont have a after market bilge pump, install at least one, mine probably saved my ski from sinking. Then get your pump tunnel re-enforced. There is a thread in the Seadoo how to section about this problem.

Thanks, I am looking at the reinforcing the tunnel now. I am not too excited about the gains with the mods. I know it's not going to turn 80, but just over 2mph with new grate and prop seemed slow. My GPS was only showing 66.5, again, kinda bummed.

Just changing the intake grate to the R&D will give you closer to a 3 mph gain without changing the impeller. Why did you change that at this point??

Quote Originally Posted by haleyscomet View Post
    Just changing the intake grate to the R&D will give you closer to a 3 mph gain without changing the impeller. Why did you change that at this point??
    I am adding an air intake, riva or fizzle, and needed another impeller. I bought one from the chief mechanic at my service center, actually, it is a 14/20 not what I previously wrote. I have my original and will probably put that back on and start from just the intake grate. I am going to do it step by step rather than two or three at a time to find the weak link.

I will have the prop repitched one I figure out where it needs to be. I am new to the impeller department, I don't understand tall vs. short 24/29 to 15/22. I am just starting out.

Stock numbers were 64.4 GPS which I thought was slower than average for the RXTX. I added both and just got a little over two mph. Not very encouraging. Everyone says the grate alone will give you 2-3 so I guess the prop did not change much. Needs to be repitched.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speed_rcr View Post
    I am adding an air intake, riva or fizzle, and needed another impeller. I bought one from the chief mechanic at my service center, actually, it is a 14/20 not what I previously wrote. I have my original and will probably put that back on and start from just the intake grate. I am going to do it step by step rather than two or three at a time to find the weak link.

I will have the prop repitched one I figure out where it needs to be. I am new to the impeller department, I don't understand tall vs. short 24/29 to 15/22. I am just starting out.

Stock numbers were 64.4 GPS which I thought was slower than average for the RXTX. I added both and just got a little over two mph. Not very encouraging. Everyone says the grate alone will give you 2-3 so I guess the prop did not change much. Needs to be repitched.
    Welcome to the Hulk!
    1. Send your 14/20 impeller to Erik at www.speedfreeksracing.com. Read up on the "setback mod" and he will repitch it to around 12.5/21. I sent my 15/22r to him and I'm seeing 8000-8040 rpms, SICK accelleration.
    2. 4" Kanaflex intake will be a huge change in performance.
    3. See my "How to thread" on Bilge pump, stainer, and 4" Kanflex install in the how to section.
    4. Stock T-X, even in 100 degree heat should be around 68-70 gps.
    5. Riva grate is ok for 1-2 mph but NO better than stock on fuel economy. Consider cutting the wings of the stock grate.
    6. You'll be going 72-73 gps real soon!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information