Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new engine, rebuild options

I have a 2004 MSX 150 which is new to me. After my first ride I have been plagued with problems.

I tested the compression and I have just over 100 psi on both cylinders with a cold engine. I am thinking this is a little low.

I am getting smoke in the exhaust and my oil level continually drops. I'm assuming that it is blowing past the rings or valve seats.

I love this ski and I want to fix it. What are my options? Is it economical to pull the engine and rering it? Are replacement engines available and or economical?

I am somewhat mechanically inclined but this project is more than I can chew. Who does this kind of work? I am located in NY/NJ area but willing to travel to get this done.

Any recommendations are appreciated and thank you in advance.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Contact member Jay (4strokepolaristech),He's in NJ and has experaince with them. Or on the west coast contact Randy at Watcon.
    (also a member here)

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You might want to start by contacting Jay (4strokepolaristech)

You might find this page interesting.

I tried Jay, he didn't answer my PM.

Has anyone had these engines apart? How many hours to remove from the boat and disassemble? Is it easier to go new?

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Give Jay some time. He'll answer your pm.

Just thought I would let you know I have had one of the motors out and it isnt fun but it can be done. It took me about an 1 and 45 minutes to pull it out and the parts are expensive for it. I need a lot of parts for mine or a complete engine if anyone has anything let me know or I will just end up parting this thing out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fst View Post
    Just thought I would let you know I have had one of the motors out and it isnt fun but it can be done. It took me about an 1 and 45 minutes to pull it out and the parts are expensive for it. I need a lot of parts for mine or a complete engine if anyone has anything let me know or I will just end up parting this thing out.
    PM me what you need... I have everything used and perfect condition from engine internals (crank, rods, pistons), cases, heads, turbo & electronics. I have brand new rings, exhaust valves and crank bearings, etc, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polar...4506.m20.l1116

That was exactly the kind of info I needed. I would assume that a polaris tech or similarily trained mechanic could probably do slightly better with the labor time with the correct tools and shop equipment. Which makes removing and reinstalling the engine relatively economical.

Quote Originally Posted by desperado View Post
    PM me what you need... I have everything used and perfect condition from engine internals (crank, rods, pistons), cases, heads, turbo & electronics. I have brand new rings, exhaust valves and crank bearings, etc, etc.
    How much for a piston kit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information