Does any one have a pic of a driveshaft?

I am looking for a good picture of a driveshaft mainly the impeller end so I can make sure mine is in good shape or not. This one looks tapered but not round or thin so i am assuming it is ok. the wear pattern is a little weird though. It is shiny and in the middle on about of the teeth then it goes to the outside on one tooth and back to the middle on the remaining teeth but a lot duller than the others.

working on a sl1050
    Last edited by chvscks319; 07-13-2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: forgot to add type of ski

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Post a few clear pictures of yours, and we can probably tell you if it is OK.

Use close-up mode (flower icon) on the camera

Have you checked the splines in the impeller?

+1
    Upper one is new lower one is used in great shape..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7130043.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	141344  

Thanks for the pic. I think the drive shaft is a little worn but not completely unusable. I haven't had time and everytime i used the camera for close ups before nothing came out but I will try to find the flower feature tonight.

The teeth seem really worn in the impeller and the appropiate side of the driveshaft seems worn too. what can we salvage and what should we replace. Any idea why it happened?

this seems perfectly alright

this seems bad...

+1
    Every thinks looks fine to me.. The impeller end splines are made crowned..

So if all that looks fine then how come the ski sounds like it is spinning or slipping on take off but fine at middle to top end? I was thinking the teeth were stripped and barely catching until after it got going but they appear ok. We haven't looked in the coupler b/c the teeth on that side of the shat have no abnormal wear pattern or issues.

Look at the very ends of the impeller teeth closest to you if you can enlarge the picture. They look like they are nicked or damaged. Is that anything to worry about or cause this problem?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chvscks319 View Post
    ...how come the ski sounds like it is spinning or slipping on take off but fine at middle to top end? I was thinking the teeth were stripped and barely catching after it got going but they appear ok.

We haven't looked in the coupler b/c the teeth on that side of the shaft have no abnormal wear pattern or issues...
    Check the drive coupler too.

Is the coupler a rubber bonded type?
    When a rubber bonded drive shaft coupler goes bad

Have you checked the impeller blades and intake grate for damage?

It sounds like you have a ventilation or cavitation problem. Look for any signs of an air leak into the pump intake area from above the ride plate or around the pump base.

If there is a streak of black soot staining in the jet pump intake area from the engine exhaust, that is a sure sign that air is being sucked into the pump intake.

When you launch hard from standstill, the impeller creates a strong suction in the intake as it pumps the water through the pump. If there is an air leak anywhere forward of the impeller, it creates air bubbles in the water (aerated water) that the impeller cannot pump properly.

As you pick up speed, the pump intake becomes pressurized (instead of suction) from the forward motion of the hull through the water, and the air leak reverses and becomes a water pressure leak (which has little effect on performance).

that makes total sense. i am thinking it could be an air leak because the pic above isn't the best of the impeller but you can see the extent of what is chewed on the end of the impeller blades. The couple doesn't look anything like pictures as far as rubber melted and thrown about. thank you!

Thread Information