new sho concerns

I am thinking about buying an 09 sho, but now I have concerns after reading the forum. The biggest concern I have is with a cracked hull or pump tunnel. How often does this occur? Is it only with serious abuse? I am not interested in spending money on a new ski and having to reinforce it. Have there been alot of problems with paint coming off the hulls? I am looking for something reliable for my family to play on for years that is relatively easy to maintain and that is also quick. The only other ski I have rode was a kawi 15f. It was fun and I liked the way it rode ok. I will be riding lakes and rivers. I am wondering if I should get something cheaper. Final question would be on price. Does anyone know exactly wha the discount is from yamaha on sho's right now? I am being offered $11,500 OTD for the sho with a triton lt-1 trailer. Only thing else I will have to pay is tax on the trailer and liscencing in my state. They collect the tax for the sho even though it is out of state for some reason.

+1
    Welcome to the forum. Most of the tunnel failures that were reported were on modified craft that were frequently ridden offshore in rough conditions. IMO, a stock boat used in flat water will not require reinforcing, but if you choose to reinforce contact 305coco...his reinforcement is inexpensive & high quality. A few of the first batch had some paint chips in the tunnel, but mine is problem free after 130 hrs & I haven't seen anyone post issues with paint chipping since those first few. That deal looks good to me. If you can, try to get them to upgrade the trailer to a Triton Elite with the tortion axle. I have my SHO on an LT & I like the trailer, but at highway speeds it will bounce a bit when you hit dips or sharp bumps. You'll love the SHO...it's very stable & great for pulling tubes or skiers with the cruise control while being fast enough to get the adrenaline pumping even in stock form.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Most of the tunnel failures that were reported were on modified craft that were frequently ridden offshore in rough conditions. IMO, a stock boat used in flat water will not require reinforcing, but if you choose to reinforce contact 305coco...his reinforcement is inexpensive & high quality. A few of the first batch had some paint chips in the tunnel, but mine is problem free after 130 hrs & I haven't seen anyone post issues with paint chipping since those first few. That deal looks good to me. If you can, try to get them to upgrade the trailer to a Triton Elite with the tortion axle. I have my SHO on an LT & I like the trailer, but at highway speeds it will bounce a bit when you hit dips or sharp bumps. You'll love the SHO...it's very stable & great for pulling tubes or skiers with the cruise control while being fast enough to get the adrenaline pumping even in stock form.

+ 1 and welcome to the forum. good luck with the purchase and ENJOY

Thanks guys! There seems to be a very helpful bunch on this forum. I actually ended up passing on the deal, because I need to get my roof done on my house. The dealer was really cool about everything. I have been really torn. I am considering getting something cheaper like a stx-15f this summer or waiting to get a sho next year. I am sure i will have fun on either one, but the sho is just way cool and I am sure faster.

Thread Information