Kawasaki 900 ZXI Fiberglass Hull Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawasaki 900 ZXI Fiberglass Hull Repair

I built a stand and flipped the ski to get a look at the bottom. Here are the pics after the first round of sanding.
    Attached Files
    1995 Kawasaki ZXI 900
    2003 Kawasaki ZXI 1100
    2008 Kawasaki Ultra LX
    Cranbury, NJ. USA

Here are some shots of the stand and hull before I started removing previous repairs. Water was getting in and some of the previous repair material could be pull away by hand. I've never done this type of repair, but my instincts tell me to remove all of the previous repair material and the purple paint up to the ridge in line with the lower edge of the sponsons. I want to keep the sweet 90's "JetSki" graphics. Any and all suggestions or tips are SINCERELY appreciated!! Next pics will show the repair materials, however, I don't yet have paint, and I believe that Steve said that it's paint, not gelcoat, and that Kawasaki had problems with this particular paint.

Attached Files
    1995 Kawasaki ZXI 900
    2003 Kawasaki ZXI 1100
    2008 Kawasaki Ultra LX
    Cranbury, NJ. USA

Comment

The problem with the previous repairs is that the correct materials were NOT used. You need to use EPOXY resin, not the standard stuff.
      http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

Comment

Start by stripping it back to bare glass and cleaning it REALLY well. You want to knock it back with 60 or 80 grit sandpaper once it is cleaned and wipe the whole thing down with acetone. Post pictures when you get to that point and we can figure out what you want to do for the bottom.

As for saving the paint, remember that whatever repairs you need to do will more than likely add thickness to the bottom so you want to make sure that whatever you need to do, can be blended with the rest of the ski.

Sean
        The older I get, the more I find myself fixing things that I knew I was doing correctly at the time.

Ski not running well? Check HERE!

2004 Kawasaki NAsty15f Build
        1987 Kawasaki JankyStandup Build
        2004 Kawi-Doo STX-RXT-X Build
        2001 Toyota Tundra Basketcase Build

Comment

Thanks! There are so many options....How about these products:

Bondo Fiberglass Resin, 1 gallon

Bondo Reinforced Fiberglass Filler ('kitty hair")

Bondo Fiberglass Matt

Sean: stripping it down to bare glass... is that exposing the fiberglass hair/fibers, or just getting all of the purple paint off and exposing the white?

Obviously, where there was a previous repair, I have to take it down to the fibers, right?
          1995 Kawasaki ZXI 900
          2003 Kawasaki ZXI 1100
          2008 Kawasaki Ultra LX
          Cranbury, NJ. USA

Comment

The purple is paint. There is white gelcoat underneath that. You need to get below the white gelcoat into the glass, which is sort of a bone color.
            '15 Kawi Ultra 310X
            '99 Kawi Ultra 150 (2)
            '10 Kawi Ultra LX, '13 Kawi Ultra LX, '13 Kawi Ultra LX parts 'Ski
            '04 Kawi STX 15-F, '06 STX 15-F (2)
            '91 Kawi Jet Mate
            '97 Yamaha Exciter 220 (Boat)
            '99 Yamaha Exciter 270 (Boat)
            '78 Nacra 5.2 Catamaran
            '05 Windrider WR-10 Trimaran, '05 Windrider WR-16 Trimaran
            ... and that's just the boats! I'm living proof that you can have too many toys!

Comment

Knock the paint off to where it is white/eggshell colored.

The bondo stuf is really cheap and it is polyester resin so it won't stick properly to the kawasaki hull.

I use the resin from us composites and it seems to work well. The peeps at x-h2o recommended it.

Sean
              The older I get, the more I find myself fixing things that I knew I was doing correctly at the time.

Comment

End of day 1 with scraping and sanding. The side wall purple paint (and sweet "JetSki" graphics) seems intact. Thinking of stopping about where things are in the photos. Is it possible, and a good idea, to feather the edges of the existing paint and overlap the epoxy and new paint? I have to get off the intake grade and get access to the tunnel. I think due to the age of the ski, the purple paint was fairly easy to scrape off - much easier than trying to sand it. Just have to be patient and keep the blade from digging. I finished up with a wide chisel after running out of razor blades.

Attached Files
                1995 Kawasaki ZXI 900
                2003 Kawasaki ZXI 1100
                2008 Kawasaki Ultra LX
                Cranbury, NJ. USA

Comment

Maybe tape a line and go with black Interlux paint - forget trying to match the existing, faded, purple.

Sean: thinking this is the epoxy and hardener you suggested from US Composites, correct?

Attached Files
                  Last edited by ZXIINNJ; 06-27-2021, 10:09 AM.
                  1995 Kawasaki ZXI 900
                  2003 Kawasaki ZXI 1100
                  2008 Kawasaki Ultra LX
                  Cranbury, NJ. USA

Comment

That sounds like a better plan. When it's in the water you won't be able to see the black anyway.

Check out 'smokeysevin's link 'JankyStandup' where you will see a WHOLE LOT of bodywork and repair stuff going on. DO NOT use standard fiberglass resin.
                    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

Comment

Yep, that is what I used/use. I have been really happy with it.

Filler wise, I used;

Cabosil for bonding/hull inserts/structural corner joints. Cabosil is really tough to sand so make sure you are happy with the shape.

Microballons for filling larger gap/grooves. It sands really quick but can leave pinholes when you "pop" the balloons by sanding them.

Talc for the top coat/smaller cracks. Sands quickly and leaves a good smooth finish.

Doing a "feature line" is a great idea and the interlux stuff is really simple to work with.

Sean

Comment

I've been enjoying smokeysevin's "Jankystandup" build thread. That's commitment!!!!
                        1995 Kawasaki ZXI 900
                        2003 Kawasaki ZXI 1100
                        2008 Kawasaki Ultra LX
                        Cranbury, NJ. USA

Comment

I haven't reached out to US Composites yet, but their site has warnings about delays and shortages due to COVID.

Is the West System 105 Epoxy and 205 Hardener stuff comparable? It's double the price, but a few marine shops in the area have it on the shelf. Just thinking about a plan "B." if I can't get the US Composites stuff.

Thanks for replying when you have a chance.
                          1995 Kawasaki ZXI 900
                          2003 Kawasaki ZXI 1100
                          2008 Kawasaki Ultra LX
                          Cranbury, NJ. USA

Comment

Yep, they are both epoxy resins. I ordered another gallon from uscomposites back in october ish and they still shipped quick. I would just check.

Sean

Comment

Here’s a look at the tunnel and intake grate. I bought an Ocean Pro Extended Ride Plate and Intake Grate. The Ride Plate fits correctly, but it doesn’t look like the intake grate is correct. I woke up and removed the 4 bolts holding it in. There’s lots of corrosion and silicon between the gaps. Should the grate pull up and out or is there anything else I can’t see that needs to be unscrewed? Besides replacing these parts to improve performance I need to get into the tunnel to clean up the peeling paint and apply new epoxy, primer, and paint. Thanks for replying

Attached Files
                              1995 Kawasaki ZXI 900
                              2003 Kawasaki ZXI 1100
                              2008 Kawasaki Ultra LX
                              Cranbury, NJ. USA

Comment

Working...
                              X