No announcement yet.

Economical STX-15f fuel pump replacement

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economical STX-15f fuel pump replacement

Wanted to post this just in case anyone needs to replace the fuel pump in their STX-15f. The Airtex E8335 fits perfectly and available from both autozone and advance. Download an advanceautoparts coupon from retailmenot.com, and order online for store pickup, I managed to get my pump for less than $50. You will also need a new fuel strainer, the part number for that is an FS203. Both of these are spec'd to fit a Subaru Impreza, ~2007:

Fuel pump: Airtex E8335
    Strainer: Airtex FS203

The pump will need to be wired properly to ensure it's running in the right direction. If you hold the pump with the fuel outlet pipe up and the terminals on the bottom, the negative terminal is on the right and the positive terminal is on the left.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	E8335 Polarity (5).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	5089559

The wires from the wiring harness to the fuel pump housing are as follows: black is negative, red/white is positive.

This pump is spec'd to flow up to 55 gph (about 200 lph) at 100 psi (ski requires about 43). Don't waste money getting a 255 lph pump, a 170hp non-supercharged engine only requires approximately 70 lph and a stock Subaru pump will provide plenty of gas.

The fuel pressure regulator is also contained inside the pump housing in the tank. I did some research on an off the shelf auto replacement that could be adapted. Good candidates are the BWD/Intermotor 23035 (43 psi) from Advance or the GP-Sorensen 800-171 (45 psi) from Autozone. Both are Vacuum assist modules that attach directly to a fuel rail. Vacuum assist essentially lowers the fuel pressure at idle, so that can be left open in this application. I purchased the BWD module, it probably could be adapted by attaching a 3/8 fuel line to the inlet and reducing it with some brass fittings. However, there isn't much to clamp the hose to on the inlet (has the o-ring) and it would probably have to be put in the tank just in case the line pops off. Probably easier to just go the aftermarket route.

Walbro gs342. ~$100.

Sean
    The older I get, the more I find myself fixing things that I knew I was doing correctly at the time.

Ski not running well? Check HERE!

1987 JS550 - JankyStandup
    2004 STX NAsty15f

2004 STX-RXT-X Conversion
    2001 Toyota Tundra Basketcase

Comment

I have a 2003 STX 12F...will these fuel pumps fit my ski? I have searched for days and not found an answer beyond getting the $400+ OEM part. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Comment

yes, this has been answered several times, just make sure that your regulator is good when you replace it.

good luck,

Sean
        The older I get, the more I find myself fixing things that I knew I was doing correctly at the time.

2004 STX NAsty15f

Comment

I just went and checked the airtex pump and it has a different connector and does not come with the proper one, where did you get the connector from? In the walbro package it's included.

Sean

2004 STX NAsty15f

Comment

Can't remember regarding the connector. I replaced this pump previously with another one from Advance and I think it had the connector with it. You can get the spade connectors from Radio Shack and crimp them on the wire or build them yourself. As long as the wiring is correct, red/white to positive, black to negative, it will work properly.

Comment

@tranter's ski:

If the kawasaki part number is the same on both skis, then it should fit. The only issue is the physical size of the pump. Since it's a return type system, excess fuel is returned to the tank via the pressure regulator.

Comment

I wouldn't trust a crimp job on a fuel pump. I have replaced the pumps in the past with the walbro and I ended up doing the same this time after not getting the connector with it. The pump and install kit with shipping was $85 which is what AutoZone wanted for the pump.

Sean

2004 STX NAsty15f

Comment

How do you attach the fuel pressure regulator.

Originally posted by squared
                  Wanted to post this just in case anyone needs to replace the fuel pump in their STX-15f. The Airtex E8335 fits perfectly and available from both autozone and advance. Download an advanceautoparts coupon from retailmenot.com, and order online for store pickup, I managed to get my pump for less than $50. You will also need a new fuel strainer, the part number for that is an FS203. Both of these are spec'd to fit a Subaru Impreza, ~2007:

Fuel pump: Airtex E8335
                  Strainer: Airtex FS203

The pump will need to be wired properly to ensure it's running in the right direction. If you hold the pump with the fuel outlet pipe up and the terminals on the bottom, the negative terminal is on the right and the positive terminal is on the left.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]298185[/ATTACH]

The wires from the wiring harness to the fuel pump housing are as follows: black is negative, red/white is positive.

This pump is spec'd to flow up to 55 gph (about 200 lph) at 100 psi (ski requires about 43). Don't waste money getting a 255 lph pump, a 170hp non-supercharged engine only requires approximately 70 lph and a stock Subaru pump will provide plenty of gas.

The fuel pressure regulator is also contained inside the pump housing in the tank. I did some research on an off the shelf auto replacement that could be adapted. Good candidates are the BWD/Intermotor 23035 (43 psi) from Advance or the GP-Sorensen 800-171 (45 psi) from Autozone. Both are Vacuum assist modules that attach directly to a fuel rail. Vacuum assist essentially lowers the fuel pressure at idle, so that can be left open in this application. I purchased the BWD module, it probably could be adapted by attaching a 3/8 fuel line to the inlet and reducing it with some brass fittings. However, there isn't much to clamp the hose to on the inlet (has the o-ring) and it would probably have to be put in the tank just in case the line pops off. Probably easier to just go the aftermarket route.
                  How do you install the BWD/ Intermoter? What attaches to where in your scenario? The regulator in the OE housing just attaches in the one spot, ? correct? How are the connections in the BWD/intermoter regulator attached?

Comment

Hi all, noob to the site but not to skis. Anyway I ran across this post while searching for a replacement pump for my 15f. I ordered the Airtex fuel pump simply because of the availabity from AdvanceAuto and I wouldnt have to wait for shipping. I remove the the fuel pump assembly and then the fuel pump itself from the sleeve last night and am curious about which connector smokey and squared are talking about. I'm assuming you all are referring to the connector that provides power? Thanks in advance.

Comment

The only electrical connector. I said this earlier, order the full walbro kit, it comes with everything and can be had for 60-70 dollars.

Sean

2004 STX NAsty15f

Comment

Originally posted by smokeysevin
                        The only electrical connector. I said this earlier, order the full walbro kit, it comes with everything and can be had for 60-70 dollars.

Sean
                        Indeed you did, and I appreciate your rapid response. I already purchased the AirTex because I'm going to put it in tonight and locally I can't locate the Walbro kit. Anyway, I will post an update after I am finished and let you how it went, I need to go pick up the parts today after work so it may be late or tomorrow before the update.

Thanks again!

Comment

Take some pictures of how you attach the wiring.

Sean

2004 STX NAsty15f

Comment

Originally posted by smokeysevin
                            Take some pictures of how you attach the wiring.

Sean
                            I will, here are some comparison pics for reference.Click image for larger version

Name:	FUEL PUMP SIDE.jpg
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	4857343Click image for larger version

Name:	FUEL PUMP TOP.jpg
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	4857344

Comment

With Tape Measure.Click image for larger version

Name:	FUEL PUMP TAPE.jpg