Stainless Steel versus Stock Plastic Wear Ring

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe both the plastic OEM wear ring and the SS wear ring have their place depending on the environment primarily ridden. If you mostly ride in an sandy type environment with a low probability of sucking anything significantly larger then a small pebble thru, the SS is the way to go. Otherwise, the OEM plastic wear ring works just fine; it's cost effective and easy to replace and remains the weak point between the housing and impeller. Installing an SS wear ring makes the prop the weak link in the equation and thus is more costly to replace when necessary. Pro's and Con's to both, like with most things personal preference plays the biggest role......

Comment

Ran SS for 3 seasons and the liner was like new and the tips of my impeller eaten/cavitated.
      New prop and back on plastic and there was the speed again........
      Just my experience
      Seadoo RXT-X-260 2011 & RXP-X-300 2018

Comment

using a stainless wear ring is like marrying a well endowed gal, there are downsides and upsides to consider

if there was a free lunch in jetpumps, I'd be first in line when the buffet opens

I advise my customers to go with plastic inland to save the prop, stainless for ocean riding where getting back to shore after any ingestion incident must be a priority
        -Pete
        Captain Pete's JetSki Service est. 2008
        Elephant Butte New Mexico
        http://www.cpjetski.com

"When all else fails, try doing what the Captain suggested"
        Looking for useful Polaris PWC information? Click hereThanks to K447!
        Please post your questions on forum, Please do not PM me for direct help
        I do not provide help if you call my shop during business hours. I'm just too busy with my business.

Comment

Yamaha has run SS for years - they seem to have some of the fastest... Like a face mask - your choice

I run SS

Comment

Originally posted by alsmith218
            I believe both the plastic OEM wear ring and the SS wear ring have their place depending on the environment primarily ridden. If you mostly ride in an sandy type environment with a low probability of sucking anything significantly larger then a small pebble thru, the SS is the way to go. Otherwise, the OEM plastic wear ring works just fine; it's cost effective and easy to replace and remains the weak point between the housing and impeller. Installing an SS wear ring makes the prop the weak link in the equation and thus is more costly to replace when necessary. Pro's and Con's to both, like with most things personal preference plays the biggest role......
            I've been working on all PWC brands for over 26 years. BRP is the only one that uses a plastic wear ring. All others use stainless steel. If you suck up rocks with a Yamaha or Kawasaki, it damages the impeller and I have it repaired. If you suck up rocks with a SeaDoo, it still damages the impeller but also take out the wear ring. Now you need an impeller repair and a new wear ring, every time. If you suck up a stick with a SeaDoo, it damages the wear ring and will need to be replaced. If you suck up a stick with a Yamaha or Kawasaki, you get the stick out and you are on your way. The plastic wear ring is not a sacrificial part but a revenue generator, nothing more.

Chester

Comment

SS is nice against sticks but man does it eat up the edges of impellers. Every single one of mine got eaten up at the edges and less important burn marks at the hub.

Comment

I think we can all agree that props flex, especially in a higher revving motor.
                2017 RXPX - add on wheelie bars
                2013 RXTX - custom muffler bearing

2003 GPRXP - hybrid, runs on 93 octane or sweet tea
                http://www.youtube.com/user/troyheb
                http://wfoperformance.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Chester
                  I've been working on all PWC brands for over 26 years. BRP is the only one that uses a plastic wear ring. All others use stainless steel. If you suck up rocks with a Yamaha or Kawasaki, it damages the impeller and I have it repaired. If you suck up rocks with a SeaDoo, it still damages the impeller but also take out the wear ring. Now you need an impeller repair and a new wear ring, every time. If you suck up a stick with a SeaDoo, it damages the wear ring and will need to be replaced. If you suck up a stick with a Yamaha or Kawasaki, you get the stick out and you are on your way. The plastic wear ring is not a sacrificial part but a revenue generator, nothing more.

Chester

Exactly! one of the top selling items in the GreenHulkStore is factory plastic wear rings. I never recommend them. Always go with a stainless steel wear ring. you will only need one of them for the life of your ski.
                  Save money on your pwc performance parts! Use the discount code: greenhulk when completing the checkout process in the GREENHULK PWC Performance Store and save 10% off the listed price of MOST Riva Racing and ALL WORX Racing Products. We also offer Fizzle Racing, MaptunerX tuning bundle packages, and instant download tuning licenses at discounted prices.

Shop now! www.greenhulkstore.com​​
                  Contact us! [email protected]
                  Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/GreenHulkPWCPerformanceStore

Comment

So I'm getting a ss ring and a solas prop what else should I replace while I'm in there is there any gaskets, seals or specific lube I should be using on the reinstall? (Sucked up rope and a Caribeaner chewed the ring and the prop up)
                    First Ski to me ever 7/18/12: 2004 Polaris Virage 700cc so far stock Build thread http://www.greenhulk.net/showthread.php?t=182997
                    1996 Sea-doo Sp 580cc: restoration/build thread http://www.greenhulk.net/showthread.php?t=198909

Comment

Originally posted by notorious01
                      So I’m getting a ss ring and a solas prop what else should I replace while I’m in there is there any gaskets, seals or specific lube I should be using on the reinstall? (Sucked up rope and a Caribeaner chewed the ring and the prop up)
                      I would upgrade your factory pump seal with the appropriate Riva seal for your ski

RIVA Sea-Doo 4-TEC 4 Bolt Super Pump Seal

RS23140
                      These upgraded performance seals deliver improved acceleration and reduced cavitation. Directly replaces the weak OEM seal that often fails in performance applications. Constructed of space aged polymers developed during the Apollo program. (4 Bolt pump attachment to transom) Replaces OEM# 29320...
                      $49.95
                      Add To Cart

RIVA Sea-Doo 4-TEC 3 Bolt Super Pump Seal

RS23141
                      These upgraded performance seals deliver improved acceleration and reduced cavitation. Directly replaces the weak OEM seal that often fails in performance applications. Constructed of space aged polymers developed during the Apollo program. (3 Bolt pump attachment to transom) Replaces OEM# 2932...
                      $49.95
                      Add To Cart
                      Save money on your pwc performance parts! Use the discount code: greenhulk when completing the checkout process in the GREENHULK PWC Performance Store and save 10% off the listed price of MOST Riva Racing and ALL WORX Racing Products. We also offer Fizzle Racing, MaptunerX tuning bundle packages, and instant download tuning licenses at discounted prices.

Comment

I just had a 3/4 x 2 inch rock get sucked up in my wife's 2021 RXTX. Sounded terrible and vibrated like crazy. Pulled it out of the water and the rock was still there but fell out as soon as I touched it. Impeller has a few dings on the leading edge. Wear ring looks badly grooved. Put it back in the water and it still runs great. Still hits 70 on the dash and doesn't seem to pull any different. I was surprised it didn't effect performance by any measure I could tell at least.

I do plan on pulling the impeller, inspecting it closely, and truing it back up. I want to replace the wear ring but after a pretty good experience with the stock ring I am tempted to go back with another OEM ring. There is a lot of gravel on the shore of where I ride. I am not the one that rides this ski most of the time so accidents do happen.

What do you think the results would have been with a SS wear ring???

Comment

I'm with you on the sacrificial aspect of the OEM ring. It does erode a bit on the modified skis. The only issue that I ever had with the OEM material is that after about 15 years, it might start breaking down and chunking. My answer is just to change it out every ten years or so.

On one of Greg Gaddis' videos, he did see some erosion to the plastic wear ring on his 21 PX.
                          2021 RXP X 300
                          2018 RXP X 300
                          2003 XP DI
                          1999 XPL (sold)
                          2-1997 XP (sold)
                          1997 GP1200 (sold in a month)
                          2-1994 Xi-R (sold)
                          2-1993 Xi (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by wasnitrous
                            What do you think the results would have been with a SS wear ring???
                            Your impeller would have still been dinged up with the SS wear ring. No wear ring is going to protect you from that.

The only difference is now you have to buy a new wear ring as well as fix, or replace your impeller. No damage would have been done to the stainless steel wear ring.

Comment

If you have a Plastic pump like a 2002/2003 GTX 155. Would a Stainless ring eliminate the recommendation to upgrade to an aluminum pump?

Thanks.
                              Seadoo
                              02 GTX 155, 07 GTi 155, 03 GTi 720, 01 GTX Di
                              Polaris
                              99 SLTX 1050

Comment

Originally posted by kingofl337
                                If you have a Plastic pump like a 2002/2003 GTX 155. Would a Stainless ring eliminate the recommendation to upgrade to an aluminum pump?

Thanks.
                                No, the stainless steel wear ring will not properly fit the plastic pump. you need to upgrade your pump to the 2004 or newer aluminum pump.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎