Above Forum Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When using a battery charger is it best to remove the wires from ski battery first?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is well written for dummies however pigtail leads arent the answer for all as the dummies allow these to corrode also
    310R

Comment

Rod and for anyone else...

before going out on the water or it's been a few wks since you started your ski as part of your preride list throw your Multimeter on the battery set to VDC 20 and should read 12.50v to 13v just sitting takes a minute or two to remove push pins and battery cover and check ,now you have piece of mind and enjoy your day out of the water

*important*
      make sure whatever brand of multimeter you use, make sure that its own battery itself AA , 9v etc is in good voltage ...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by K447; 05-10-2016, 01:06 PM.
      KAWASAKI 2011 ULTRA 300X Stock Grate R&D Rideplate /L13 cone/ Twin Prop 16/19-15/20 /CanDoo speed module /R3 Flash /BOV/ Custom air intake/exhaust /Lightweight SC pulley / tensioner /Riva FF-WB
      74.5mph @8200-8300 rpms
      Jersey Shore Racing

BEER AND SHOOTOUTS THATS HOW WE RACE

AUTISM AWARENESS

Comment

Originally posted by jetdave56 View Post

before going out on the water or it's been a few weeks since you started your ski as part of your preride list use your Multimeter on the battery set to VDC 20 and should read 12.50v to 13v just sitting.

takes a minute or two to remove push pins and battery cover and check ,now you have piece of mind and enjoy your day out of the water

*important*
        make sure whatever brand of multimeter you use, make sure that its own battery itself AA , 9v etc is in good voltage ...
        Note: Do NOT start the engine before doing this pre-ride battery voltage check. You want to measure the resting battery voltage, which means the battery has not been charged or exercised, at all, in recent hours.

As soon as the engine starts it will begin charging the battery. Even if you shut it down quickly, the immediate battery voltage will have been nudged upwards. By how much is a matter of guesswork and battery condition. Voltage measurements from the battery right after engine shutdown are not useful.
        Last edited by K447; 06-09-2016, 11:59 PM.
        sigpic
        How to post your question, AFTER you have done your homework
        Asking for help via Private Message?
        For Ficht EMM Repairs, contact Lakeside Tech
        Yamaha NanoXcel hull repair info
        Polaris PWC useful info

Comment

Originally posted by nicjak View Post
          It is well written for dummies ...
          Not at all.

It is written for people who have an interest in understanding how to maintain and monitor their watercraft battery system.
          sigpic
          Polaris PWC useful info

Comment

yes, that so easy and amyzing
            ALEXIS
            Lending Group | lenders group | mortgage lending group

Comment

Hi Friends!
              I stumbled across this thread while searching for a battery tender and have a few questions if y'all don't mind:

1. What type of battery comes in new Sea-Doo machines? I'll be ordering a '20 GTX 170 in the next few weeks.
              2. I will be ordering speakers and plan on using them both while underway and at rest. I've heard that the recharging systems on jetskis only replace what is used while running, not additional electronics, and that it might be best to have a charger to supplement between uses?
              3. To summarize, if I buy one of these (https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...ern-Hemisphere) I can permanently attach the pigtail to the battery and then just plug in when the machine sits?
              4. Finally, is there a solar option that would be as effective?

Thanks!
              Last edited by thinkxingu; 03-10-2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I AGREE 100%!! I have been doing this for 2 years now, I have (2) 2012 Seadoo GTI 130's and this is what I have always done. So glad to know others are doing the same!

Comment

Originally posted by thinkxingu View Post
                  Hi ... I've heard that the recharging systems on jetskis only replace what is used while running, not additional electronics, and that it might be best to have a charger to supplement between uses?
                  3. To summarize, if I buy one of these (https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...ern-Hemisphere) I can permanently attach the pigtail to the battery and then just plug in when the machine sits?
                  4. Finally, is there a solar option that would be as effective?
                  The charging system on modern PWC of any brand works about the same. The charging system generates a fixed voltage that is applied to the battery. The battery will absorb amps (electrical energy) as fast as the watercraft charging system can deliver it and at the maximum rate the battery can accept charging current. Whichever is lower, that is the rate the battery will be charging at.

So at idle RPM the charging system will be putting out minimal amps and the battery will charge at a moderate rate. As the engine speed goes up so does the charging system maximum amp output. If the (partially discharged) battery wants plenty of charge then it can take it.

What the watercraft charging system does NOT do is carefully manage the 'phases' of battery charging. It does not do anything to manage the 'top up' charging nor does it push more current to help bring a depleted battery up to full 'faster'. If you want to charge the battery more quickly, just ride faster. That said, there is a maximum RPM above which the engine does not produce any more electrical power. That RPM is specified somewhere, probably in the service manual.

I recommend installing pigtail battery charge leads and using a compatible charger of good quality.

A solar charger with pigtail leads can also be used. Just select one that provides some sort of charge/voltage control to limit overcharging during a series of very sunny days. I have a basic solar charging panel that I use from time to time to charge a large boat type battery.
                  sigpic
                  Polaris PWC useful info

Comment

Working...
                  X