Above Forum Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for a trailer to travel from Mass to Fl.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. GP1800
    I don't recommend pulling any trailer at 80 mph whether the tires can handle it or not
    Not disagreeing. As speeds increase the potential downsides escalate should something go wrong.

Whether that be a trailer problem (tire problem, bearing failure, load shift, loose bolt, whatever), something with the tow vehicle, a road issue (pothole, whatever) or another road user (you know, everyone else). The faster we go, with a trailer, the worser it can get in a bigger hurry.

The tire blowout I posted earlier happened at those speeds, in the leftmost lane of a multi-lane highway. Things went from what is that noise to why is the car shaking to the tire coming apart in just a few seconds. Before I could get across all three lanes to the road shoulder the trailer fender was torn away and the shredded tire cords were flailing against the ski hull.

We so sometimes tow at speeds close to 75 mph but immediately reduce speed when encountering traffic or anything else that might further reduce safety margins.

Trailer and tires get inspected before starting out each day, and then rechecked at every stop, including checking temperature of each tire and each wheel bearing. Lights are checked too.

Marker lights, brake and turn signals also checked.

Since I have electrically controlled trailer brakes, they get checked using the controller override lever. The trailer brakes can slow the car and even bring it to a full stop. I can really feel the deceleration when I manually activate the trailer brakes while driving.

We also do a trailer check about ten minutes after starting out. Re-check the hold-down strap tensions front and back, various latches, plug-in wiring connector, safety chains, coupler and latch, etc.

Over 1300 miles the travel time difference between 80 mph and 70 mph is about two hours.
    sigpic
    How to post your question, AFTER you have done your homework
    Asking for help via Private Message?
    For Ficht EMM Repairs, contact Lakeside Tech
    Yamaha NanoXcel hull repair info
    Polaris PWC useful info

Comment

Fish Man, carry a grease gun with you so you can re-grease the bearings before your trip home. A plastic trash bag and some paper towels reduce the mess. Run the max pressure in your tires. Rotate your tires every year and make sure the spare gets used on the ground, too. Make sure you have a jack & lug wrench that will work with your trailer, a scissors jack works well.
      '15 Kawi Ultra 310X
      '99 Kawi Ultra 150 (2)
      '10 Kawi Ultra LX, '13 Kawi Ultra LX, '13 Kawi Ultra LX parts 'Ski
      '04 Kawi STX 15-F, '06 STX 15-F (2)
      '91 Kawi Jet Mate
      '97 Yamaha Exciter 220 (Boat)
      '99 Yamaha Exciter 270 (Boat)
      '78 Nacra 5.2 Catamaran
      '05 Windrider WR-10 Trimaran, '05 Windrider WR-16 Trimaran
      ... and that's just the boats! I'm living proof that you can have too many toys!

Comment

Originally posted by steve45
        Fish Man, carry a grease gun with you so you can re-grease the bearings before your trip home. A plastic trash bag and some paper towels reduce the mess.

Run the max pressure in your tires.

Rotate your tires every year and make sure the spare gets used on the ground, too.

Make sure you have a jack & lug wrench that will work with your trailer ...
        I prefer a D jack for lifting the trailer axle. Quick to use, which can be important when working roadside. Works with leaf spring and torsion axles.

Lug wrench just for the trailer, kept with the trailer. I also carry a handful of spare lug nuts in the trailer.

Bearing Buddy allows quick grease top-ups as needed. Do not over-fill the Bearing Buddy, the excess grease will sling out the front and make a mess.

But if the grease level is changing quickly and the Bearing Buddy indicator keeps moving in *, grease is leaking out. Which means the inner grease seal in the hub is probably worn and should be replaced.

* When Bearing Buddies are first installed and grease is pumped in, some air will be trapped inside. It is normal for the air to work it's way out as you drive. The Bearing Buddy level indicator will move in. Expect to top-up the grease level several times after installing a Bearing Buddy and driving around. Eventually the trapped air will all be gone and the grease level should then change very slowly as you drive distance.

I prefer a high quality wheel bearing grease. A wheel bearing in good condition and well greased should never become hot, even after long distance at speed. Moderately warm, but still tolerable to put your hand on, is the warmest it should get. Both hubs should be about the same temperature.

If one hub gets warmer than the other something may be wrong.
        Axle nut too tight on the bearings, bearing worn or internally failing (factory defect or installation error, perhaps).
        Or water has seeped inside and the bearing is beginning to rust, which will eventually lead to complete bearing failure.

Check trailer tire pressures each morning. Both should be right at the sidewall maximum pressure, up to a couple of PSI above is OK. It is normal for the air pressures to rise further as the tire warms up on the road. Do not reduce trailer tire air pressures that increase due to highway travel. The pressure rise is a normal aspect of tire operation.

At each stop during the travel day I will use the back of my hand to check each trailer tire sidewall for temperature, and also touch each hub for temp. All should be warm but still comfortable to touch, and consistent from wheel to wheel.
        sigpic
        How to post your question, AFTER you have done your homework
        Asking for help via Private Message?
        For Ficht EMM Repairs, contact Lakeside Tech
        Yamaha NanoXcel hull repair info
        Polaris PWC useful info

Comment

Originally posted by K447
          Over 1300 miles the travel time difference between 80 mph and 70 mph is about two hours.
          Wisdom- 2 hours vs your life and possibly family, friends or innocent stranger(s)-. Hmmm. Drive responsibly and safely for good karma! LOL

Comment

Positively THANKFUL for all the knowledge on these boards, in these threads!
            18 VXR
            9 TRixx
            22 Jet Blaster
            23 GP1800R HO

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡