Above Forum Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Mod Your Ski

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to Mod Your Ski

    I have read several posts lately from newer forum members who have modified their skis and are unhappy with its performance. Some have seen a loss on top speed, others claim its a dog out of the hole, etc.
    It is very important to remember that when you mod your ski, try and modify it as a package deal, and not with just 1 or 2 pieces of the package.
    It is this reason that many aftermarket manufacturers sell stage 1-2 and 3 kits.
    Think of it as a sports team.. If you have only 2 good players on a basketball team, the team sucks, and needs 3 other good players to all work together as a team and help one another. This is the same way modifying a ski, or any other toy goes. One modification compliments another.
    Just putting on a 1200 grate and sealing the pump shoe will slow your ski down, it needs the other team members to make it all go.
    Just installing an EFI controller and a d-plate will do nothing for your ski without the other players also.
    Installing a 14/20 prop without creating more power to spin it is a very common mistake seems like, and creates a major dog with a stock engine trying to spin it.
    I know many people modify as their wallet allows them to and cant afford to do the entire ball of wax at once, and i understand that, but just be aware of this fact of life.
    There are many different combinations people use, so STUDY closely what Jerry, R&D and Riva have for sale, and remember their recomendations for packages are that way for a reason.
    Its all in the combination of parts, and how well you pay attention to the small tuning details that determines how fast or slow your ski will be.
    Search this forum also and ask BEFORE you modify if you are not sure which way you are going. There are no stupid questions, and the answers are ALL here on Jerrys forum.
    So STUDY/READ/LOOK AT THE PICTURES on this forum in search mode for hours and hours, before you spend your hard earned dollars and you will avoid the frustration of owning a modified slug.
    You will be glad you did.
    There is an incredible amount of FREE information on this forum and it can take days/weeks to digest it all.

    And last but not least, if your not SURE, and have no experience in that area, then please dont give out poor/misleading advice.

    Proper planning prevents poor performance...
    Sounds like cleche classroom bullshit, but its not. Its oh so very true..
    Its your hard earned money, so spend it wisely and smile when you grab some throttle.
    Thanks,
    Ross
    RossnemoRacing SuperStock FZR
    14 time SuperStock Speed Alley Champ
    2013-2014-2015-2017 Hydrodrags SuperStock Speed Alley World Champion
    109.2 mph
    Jims Performance/ The Plate Man

  • #2
    Great advice Ross
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results"

    http://www.pwc-performance.com/
    Support The Forum and Save 10% off on RIVA and R&D products, coupon code is greenhulk

    Porting by Lowell Horning "2-Stroke Porting.com" http://www.2-stroke-porting.com/

    http://www.hydrotoys.com/gpr/tuners/osidebil/

    01 SUV-1.8L SHO Conversion (Alex's Ski) Build has begun http://www.greenhulk.net/showthread.php?t=172812
    01 GPR 1300 Ported BB (77.1 @7100) (Sold Cuda67)
    02 GPR 1440 Stroked and Ported by 2-Stroke-Porting.com, Factory Triple Pipe project (Under Construction)
    99 GP1200 Ported by West Coast Porting, Bored 1mm over, Secret Mods Motor Broke in, tuning in process. This thing pulls hard with a 14/20 J prop.

    Comment


    • #3
      yes good stuff !

      And last but not least, if your not SURE, and have no experience in that area, then please dont give out poor/misleading advice.
      Visit our facebook page:
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/WFO-P...e/165299329483

      https://www.instagram.com/wfoperformance/

      www.wfoperformance.net

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by rossnemo View Post
        I have read several posts lately from newer forum members who have modified their skis and are unhappy with its performance. Some have seen a loss on top speed, others claim its a dog out of the hole, etc.
        It is very important to remember that when you mod your ski, try and modify it as a package deal, and not with just 1 or 2 pieces of the package.
        It is this reason that many aftermarket manufacturers sell stage 1-2 and 3 kits.
        Think of it as a sports team.. If you have only 2 good players on a basketball team, the team sucks, and needs 3 other good players to all work together as a team and help one another. This is the same way modifying a ski, or any other toy goes. One modification compliments another.
        Just putting on a 1200 grate and sealing the pump shoe will slow your ski down, it needs the other team members to make it all go.
        Just installing an EFI controller and a d-plate will do nothing for your ski without the other players also.
        Installing a 14/20 prop without creating more power to spin it is a very common mistake seems like, and creates a major dog with a stock engine trying to spin it.
        I know many people modify as their wallet allows them to and cant afford to do the entire ball of wax at once, and i understand that, but just be aware of this fact of life.
        There are many different combinations people use, so STUDY closely what Jerry, R&D and Riva have for sale, and remember their recomendations for packages are that way for a reason.
        Its all in the combination of parts, and how well you pay attention to the small tuning details that determines how fast or slow your ski will be.
        Search this forum also and ask BEFORE you modify if you are not sure which way you are going. There are no stupid questions, and the answers are ALL here on Jerrys forum.
        So STUDY/READ/LOOK AT THE PICTURES on this forum in search mode for hours and hours, before you spend your hard earned dollars and you will avoid the frustration of owning a modified slug.
        You will be glad you did.
        There is an incredible amount of FREE information on this forum and it can take days/weeks to digest it all.

        And last but not least, if your not SURE, and have no experience in that area, then please dont give out poor/misleading advice.

        Proper planning prevents poor performance...
        Sounds like cleche classroom bullshit, but its not. Its oh so very true..
        Its your hard earned money, so spend it wisely and smile when you grab some throttle.
        Thanks,
        Ross
        very good reading!!
        Last edited by tmg97gp; 01-01-2010, 08:04 PM.
        2000 Yamaha GPR1200 75.3mph 6/1/13
        2001 Yamaha GPR1200 73.0mph
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~ Attention to detail makes the difference ~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        sigpic
        ~~My 1970 Ford Torino GT~~

        Comment


        • #5
          Great info...

          Comment


          • #6
            So STUDY/READ/LOOK AT THE PICTURES on this forum in search mode for hours and hours, before you spend your hard earned dollars and you will avoid the frustration of owning a modified slug.
            Very true...I wish I'd found this forum before running out to buy a stage kit. I would've saved a pretty penny and had better results from the start. Great info as always. Thanks Ross.
            07 Lowell ported PV EFI GP1390R Built by GPR114, Tuned by Jim's Performance, Ross' Sonic Boom TB's...they rule!!!
            16 FX SVHO Cruiser "Under Construction"
            11 Superjet

            www.soflariders.net

            Comment


            • #7
              Very good advice!

              Ross, Very good job on trying to help the new people get going up to speed, best advice I have seen on the forum in a while, Tommy Jordan
              The Fountain Boys "Never ride faster than your angel can fly" The R&D never stops! " A friend will get you out of jail, A GOOD friend will be sitting in jail with you saying " boy that was fun"

              Comment


              • #8
                good info............
                1300R L-H /OSIDEBILL BIG BORE
                2001 ALIEN XLT STAGE 2------- 65MPH GPS
                OsideBill Carb Specialist http://members.cox.net/bbartleet/index.htm
                Engine Porting by Lowell Horning--------- http://www.2-stroke-porting.com/
                UPS---------------------------------WORK UNION----------------------------------------TEAMSTERSLOCAL150-----------------------
                WWW.WCPORTING.COM

                Comment


                • #9
                  And don't forget: GP owners, go irritate Brandon for hours on end on the phone!
                  Brappenstein:
                  1998 GP760 - 771cc
                  K&N Flame Arrestors
                  Moto Tassinari VF3s
                  Pro-Tec Rec Head
                  Factory Pipe Exhaust
                  Shred Master ride plate
                  Solas YB-SC-XO prop
                  R&D Aquavein Grate
                  Gay spray removed

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Good info Ross
                    Save money on your pwc performance parts! Use the discount code: greenhulk when completing the checkout process in the GREENHULK PWC Performance Store and save 10% off the listed price of MOST Riva Racing and ALL WORX Racing Products. We also offer Fizzle Racing, MaptunerX tuning bundle packages, and instant download tuning licenses at discounted prices.

                    Shop now! www.greenhulkstore.com​​
                    Contact us! [email protected]
                    Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/GreenHulkPWCPerformanceStore

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by OBXJeepGuy View Post
                      And don't forget: GP owners, go irritate Brandon for hours on end on the phone!
                      No irritating going on here, I love to help others and keep the Old Beast alive.

                      Good info Ross!
                      97 GP1200 Best 70.7 GPS
                      SINGLE PIPE PUMP GAS GROUP K SLEEPER
                      1st Place 07 MB III Vintage-1st Place 08 MBIV Vintage
                      1st Place 08 Hydrodrag Fall National Speed Alley Vintage
                      1st Place 09 Hydrodrag Summer Nat. Vintage
                      1st Place 09 Hydrodrag Summer Nat. Speed Alley Vintage
                      1st Place 09 Hydrodrag Fall Nat SpeedAlley-2ndPlace Drag

                      GPRXP 86mph +, Les Cooke B Kit, Seadoo Pump, Stock ECU
                      2018 RXP-X LOTS OF GO FAST PARTS 85.3mph

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        great info R-dawg !
                        2000 Stock GPRXP ~ 83.6 / 7900 rpm
                        2006 Stock RXP ~ 67.7 mph
                        2000 Stage II GP1200R ~ 76.7 / 7400 rpm (retired motor 2007 for conversion build)
                        www.wfoperformance.net


                        Pics ~Pics & Mods~ / Keep the 2-Strokes Alive !


                        Buy your Performance Parts at @ www.4tecperformance.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Blaster800......head,carbs and pipe,prop,intake grate all work carried out by a reputable dealer in the UK.Would these be a good investment to wake my motor up?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            step by step option

                            what mods can i do one at a time without making it run like crap? milled heads, intake work and a ride plate i'm guessing dont need counter parts? or do they?
                            Richy "Coco" Costa
                            08' GP1300R
                            Miami bound

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by richycosta7 View Post
                              what mods can i do one at a time without making it run like crap? milled heads, intake work and a ride plate i'm guessing dont need counter parts? or do they?
                              if you do the head work you will also need to invest in an EFI controller. My ski has basically all the mods you can do to a GPR without having to buy an EFI controller besides Jetworks. It's in my signature. P.S. that GPS # 68.6 was before the flame arrestor & free flow were added I haven't gps'd my ski with those mods yet expecting 70++
                              09' Black FZS

                              Wes-Tec Performance #26

                              GPS: 7*.1 mph 8-):smt119

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X