X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aerostern
    • Aug 2017

Originally posted by fx160
    It probably does let more debris go through the pump
    But a stock great grate will clog with debris and you will have to get into the water to clear it
    i ride in bays off long island, we def have issues with seaweed, i dont think i am going to change the stock grate, its sucks having to get off and pull out all the seaweed with the stock grate which has the grate with the bars in place, but i think it would be worse to allow seaweed to get up into the jet pump...
    2001 GP1200R
    2017 GP1800

Comment

• LT1GMC
      • Aug 2006

I will tell you the impeller is like a super food chopper, it will chop anything but rocks. I have been using aftermarket scoop grates for 30 years with no issues, and I will tell you its one of the first things I change. Before aftermarket ones were available I would cut the half the bars out of the stock one. For one it practically eliminates having to get off and clear weeds out of the stock grate. I have seen other riders attempt to operate with weeds in the grate and run the darn ski till it overheats. Not a good thing. Never had an issue with weeds staying in the pump.
      '18 GP1800, 85 mph Stage 2
      '09 FZS 82.5 mph, R3, ET LB, Fizzle, Farthing, stock quiet exhaust.
      '01 GPR, GK 1390, was 78.0 mph, sold to the competition, son, now 81.9 mph!
      '04 XLT 1200 was 62.2 mph, now 68.5 mph!
      '94 Blaster 781 46 carb 60 mph, found new home.
      '93 Superjet 760 twin carb 59.7 mph, gone, found new home.
      '99 XLL 1200, complete rebuild, runs 62.4 with SBT sleeved cyl's.
      '99 XLL 1200 #2, same as above, 63.0

Comment

• Elchenland
        • Sep 2016

Any plans on testing the new GP1800R and VXR grate vs the Riva and Worx? I have the Wirx on my VXR and if the new Yamaha grate is faster and has similar hookup, I am tempted to swap. My Worx corrodes (full with aluminumoxide) like crazy, while my rideplate does not (Yamaha with Jim’s cut).

Also thinking of going for the new plate as it is longer and I ride where it gets choppy.

Comment

• gtile04
          Melbourne (AUS)
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Elchenland
          Any plans on testing the new GP1800R and VXR grate vs the Riva and Worx? I have the Wirx on my VXR and if the new Yamaha grate is faster and has similar hookup, I am tempted to swap. My Worx corrodes (full with aluminumoxide) like crazy, while my rideplate does not (Yamaha with Jim's cut).

Also thinking of going for the new plate as it is longer and I ride where it gets choppy.

Modified worx grate
          Attached Files
          2018 YAMAHA GP1800 85.1 MPH 265lb rider
          Riva retainers, Riva ride plate, Worx modified intake grate, fizzle intercooler with tial, worx cooling, kanaflex intake mod, ribbon delete, solas prop, TJ exhaust mod, 2 degree wedge

Comment

• GPBoosted
            • Jul 2019

Hey Quick question
            With the worx Intake grate on installing it do you get to use or do you the stock oem pump seal that does to the ride plate as the Riva intake grate one does!

Comment

• GPBoosted
              • Jul 2019

With the worx Intake grate on installing it do you get to use or do you the stock oem pump seal that does to the ride plate as the Riva intake grate one does!

Comment

• markt111
                • Jul 2019

great numbers, I love to see comparisons like this,

did you happen to get speeds with the stock grate?

Comment

• fx160
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by aerostern
                  i ride in bays off long island, we def have issues with seaweed, i dont think i am going to change the stock grate, its sucks having to get off and pull out all the seaweed with the stock grate which has the grate with the bars in place, but i think it would be worse to allow seaweed to get up into the jet pump...
                  I have only ever had to clear a stock grate
                  Once I've fitted an aftermarket scoop style grate
                  The same stuff that would clog a stock grate go straight through without causing any damage

Comment

• stgnsw
                    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Green Hulk
                    I'm glad you asked. The stock grate is terrible and I would not recommend anyone trying to run the stock grate over 80 mph due to serious safety concerns. The stock GP grate is the same exact design that was used on the 2009-2013 FZ skis and we all know that the FZ when pushed more than 72 mph with the stock grate would overstuff and toss the rider.
                    This happened to a friend.
                    Unfortunately with a bad outcome.

Comment

• markt111
                      • Jul 2019

Originally posted by stgnsw
                      This happened to a friend.
                      Unfortunately with a bad outcome.
                      good info there! But is there a gain in speed on a stock machine or just the safety factor at higher speeds? Essentially what I am asking is will the grate itself help me to get to those higher speeds or does it only make it safer when other mods are added?

Comment

• Green Hulk
                        Site Admin
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by markt111
                        good info there! But is there a gain in speed on a stock machine or just the safety factor at higher speeds? Essentially what I am asking is will the grate itself help me to get to those higher speeds or does it only make it safer when other mods are added?
                        Your stock machine has a 69 mph speed limiter. It is not going any faster regardless of mods until you reflash the ECU to remove the speed limiter, but to answer your question, the stock grate is not faster and it's dangerous! back to back test of WORX grate with stock grate here http://greenhulk.net/showthre...=1#post2808182
                        Save money on your pwc performance parts! Use the discount code: greenhulk when completing the checkout process in the GREENHULK PWC Performance Store and save 10% off the listed price of MOST Riva Racing and ALL WORX Racing Products. We also offer Fizzle Racing, MaptunerX tuning bundle packages, and instant download tuning licenses at discounted prices.

Shop now! www.greenhulkstore.com​​
                        Contact us! [email protected]
                        Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/GreenHulkPWCPerformanceStore

Comment

• markt111
                          • Jul 2019

Thank you!!

Comment

• Alc
                            • Feb 2020

Extremely new and learning more about these skis. I have a stock 19 FX HO would it make sense to install the intake grate while doing the Riva ride plate?

Comment

• Fx4Dugan
                              • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Elchenland
                              Any plans on testing the new GP1800R and VXR grate vs the Riva and Worx? I have the Wirx on my VXR and if the new Yamaha grate is faster and has similar hookup, I am tempted to swap. My Worx corrodes (full with aluminumoxide) like crazy, while my rideplate does not (Yamaha with Jim's cut).

I have been wondering the same, I have a 2018 VXR. Does the Riva intake have significant gains over the new 2019 OEM intake. Or would spending the money on both OEM 2019 intake and ride plate be more bang for my buck on ski that is only going to be 65 mph ski. Thinking better handling and hole shot without loss to top speed??? Just not sure were the new intake performs against the other aftermarket options,
                              2018 Yamaha VXR, black and red, TJ exhaust mod, otherwise stock
                              2008 SeaDoo RXT-255,
                              2005 SeaDoo RXT-215,
                              2-1998 Yamaha XL760s(sold)

Comment

• Saum700p
                                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Fx4Dugan
                                I have been wondering the same, I have a 2018 VXR. Does the Riva intake have significant gains over the new 2019 OEM intake. Or would spending the money on both OEM 2019 intake and ride plate be more bang for my buck on ski that is only going to be 65 mph ski. Thinking better handling and hole shot without loss to top speed??? Just not sure were the new intake performs against the other aftermarket options,
                                The intake performs in stability and keeping the pump loaded in chop. Does noting for speed and hole shot on the vxr.
                                18 Yamaha VXR Black Metallic with Azure Blue Metallic (Black Gunwale, GP mats)
                                Riva Power Filter Kit & Intake Manifold Upgrade, Riva Water Box & Rear Exit Exhaust, Dean's Rideplate
                                Candoo Speedo & block off, Velocity Visions Ceramic Coating, Dean's Tune, Custom Prop, Pump wedge
                                Running 72.6mph @ 8,000 rpm 1/2 Tank Fuel, Air temp 61??, Water 66??, Humidity 40%, Sea Level, Fresh Water, 265lbs.

'18 GP1800 90ÔÇÖs+ still dialing it in...

Comment

Working...